My Dad’s back on his bike, but needs a buddy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tekuki

Tekuki

He's not ready for a cycle club yet. I went out a few years ago with a local cycle club, on their shortest, slowest ride. It may be different where you are.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/19782871/embed/d28a0c1d395cbb0a3a728b2848c66e2aa8afb687

In the UK I'd suggest Sky or CTC rides. Not sure if there is an Irish equivalent.

As for cycle buddy - I signed up with it a few years ago, and I got pinged a lot. I never went on a ride, but it was very active. London and female, so it will be different for your dad, but he only needs to find 1 or 2 riding buddies to make it work.

My thoughts exactly - if I can find him a couple of peeps to keep him company / let him set the pace to get him going again, it would really help. His hearing's shot which also makes it a bit of a white knuckle ride on the roads down there. Think that's one of the things that puts him off. And not much that can be done about it, unfortunately. Save find him some buddies who don't have cloth ears!

His hearing's shot which also makes it a bit of a white knuckle ride on the roads down there.
ltd-mirror.jpg

His hearing's shot which also makes it a bit of a white knuckle ride on the roads down there. Think that's one of the things that puts him off

Thankfully I have very good hearing (tinnitus excepted) but the problem for me, thanks to the large cage in my neck, is that I can't swivel/turn my head far enough to see anything on the road coming up from behind which is why I have a rear view mirror fitted to both of my bikes even if it does look a bit KAK on my gorgeous lightweight vintage Shorter.

EDIT: typed at the very same time as @jefmcg

OP
OP
Tekuki

Tekuki

Thankfully I have very good hearing (tinnitus excepted) but the problem for me, thanks to the large cage in my neck, is that I can't swivel/turn my head far enough to see anything on the road coming up from behind which is why I have a rear view mirror fitted to both of my bikes even if it does look a bit KAK on my gorgeous lightweight vintage Shorter.

EDIT: typed at the very same time as @jefmcg
Great minds - thank you! That might be right up his street - style's never been his priority!

cabbieman

How's he doing?

bigjim

Legendary Member
69 is on the young side. My club is full of 70+yr olds, one is 82 and they don't hang around. We often come across a 93yr old guy out riding with a couple of 80+ yr old ladies. He is as bright as a button and seems pretty good on the bike. Full lycra all of them.

Top Bottom