My Dad’s back on his bike, but needs a buddy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tekuki

Hi everyone,
I hope you can help or point me in the right direction. Up until about 6 or 7 years ago, my dad really enjoyed cycling - MTB and road mostly. Did a fair few charity events. Then a few things happened - injury etc, and after a bit of cajoling, I got him back on the bike at the weekend for the first time since then.
He’s 69, and we did about 8 miles a time, doing about 12mph. He did have a few tech diffs, but was riding more confidently etc on the second day. Part of the problem is that he doesn’t have a road buddy. Are there any ways of ‘match making’ to find him someone either of the same pace or willing to help patiently coach him back to form a bit? I would do it, but he’s in Co Limerick and I’m in Belfast.
Advice much appreciated. I just feel that 69’s a bit young to have put the bike away for good!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Must be loads of fellow cyclist's out there in Co Limerick who would love to help a fellow cyclist

I know i would if it was more local

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Hi everyone,
I hope you can help or point me in the right direction. Up until about 6 or 7 years ago, my dad really enjoyed cycling - MTB and road mostly. Did a fair few charity events. Then a few things happened - injury etc, and after a bit of cajoling, I got him back on the bike at the weekend for the first time since then.
He’s 69, and we did about 8 miles a time, doing about 12mph. He did have a few tech diffs, but was riding more confidently etc on the second day. Part of the problem is that he doesn’t have a road buddy. Are there any ways of ‘match making’ to find him someone either of the same pace or willing to help patiently coach him back to form a bit? I would do it, but he’s in Co Limerick and I’m in Belfast.
Advice much appreciated. I just feel that 69’s a bit young to have put the bike away for good!

Sorry, cannot offer any practical help, I live too far away.

May I say however, you are doing the right thing by your Dad.

We (myself and wife) are 70, and still cycle regularly, our target is 60 miles per week of walking and cycling, but, we usually achieve more (ie 70-80 miles).

We recently purchased new bicycles, I handed my "old" bicycle on to one of my brothers-in-law (age 74) who had lapsed from cycling. He has started going out regularly (on his own) and, tells me he feels much better for it, he certainly looks healthier, after only one month!

Good luck with your efforts.

@Tekuki I'm at the tender age of 68 and have had two replacement hips, various bits of spinal and neck surgery and a shoulder opp, added to which I have endured numerous other odds and sods sessions under the surgeons knife, so my relatively recent return to cycling is not totally dissimilar to your dads.

Currently I am still building up the muscles and general riding confidence after far too many years out of the saddle and am doing so by setting myself some relatively hard to achieve target times for the carefully researched circular rides from my door.

As for finding either a club or possibly someone to go out with, then if you search on Google for "cycling clubs near me" or even pop into a local shop or doctors surgery that might have a post it up yourself, information board. This is exactly what I did when I recently moved to my new location and discovered that there is a small cycling group in the adjoining village and only last week I had someone phone me from just around the corner (less than 200 yards from my house) who had seen the postit note I had placed in the doctors surgery.
Personally speaking I don't feel I am quite fit or fast enough just yet to join them, but quite soon I am expecting to join them having fun.

OP
OP
Tekuki

Tekuki

Sorry, cannot offer any practical help, I live too far away.

May I say however, you are doing the right thing by your Dad.

We (myself and wife) are 70, and still cycle regularly, our target is 60 miles per week of walking and cycling, but, we usually achieve more (ie 70-80 miles).

We recently purchased new bicycles, I handed my "old" bicycle on to one of my brothers-in-law (age 74) who had lapsed from cycling. He has started going out regularly (on his own) and, tells me he feels much better for it, he certainly looks healthier, after only one month!

Good luck with your efforts.
Thanks for the encouragement - I really appreciate it. I hope you put plenty of miles on those new bikes!

OP
OP
Tekuki

Tekuki

@Tekuki I'm at the tender age of 68 and have had two replacement hips, various bits of spinal and neck surgery and a shoulder opp, added to which I have endured numerous other odds and sods sessions under the surgeons knife, so my relatively recent return to cycling is not totally dissimilar to your dads.

Currently I am still building up the muscles and general riding confidence after far too many years out of the saddle and am doing so by setting myself some relatively hard to achieve target times for the carefully researched circular rides from my door.

As for finding either a club or possibly someone to go out with, then if you search on Google for "cycling clubs near me" or even pop into a local shop or doctors surgery that might have a post it up yourself, information board. This is exactly what I did when I recently moved to my new location and discovered that there is a small cycling group in the adjoining village and only last week I had someone phone me from just around the corner (less than 200 yards from my house) who had seen the postit note I had placed in the doctors surgery.
Personally speaking I don't feel I am quite fit or fast enough just yet to join them, but quite soon I am expecting to join them having fun.

Reading what you've dealt with and hearing you're still in the saddle, to be honest, I don't know what he's complaining about!! There is a cycling club in the village, but, as you say, I think he's not fit or fast enough for even the recreational rides yet. But fingers crossed we'll find him someone who is up for it. Many thanks!

OP
OP
Tekuki

Tekuki

69 is far to young to give up cycling. I am 76 and do not intend to give up cycling any time soon..I try to ride a minimum of 75 miles a week.Am quite happy to average 12 to 14 miles per hour.
As the old Post Office advert used to say,use it or lose it.

A sound philosophy! I will pass on the advice, thanks!

Yes, that would be great, but I think there's a little confidence hurdle to overcome before he'd want to join them again. I hope it won't be too long though!
He's not ready for a cycle club yet. I went out a few years ago with a local cycle club, on their shortest, slowest ride. It may be different where you are.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/19782871/embed/d28a0c1d395cbb0a3a728b2848c66e2aa8afb687

In the UK I'd suggest Sky or CTC rides. Not sure if there is an Irish equivalent.

As for cycle buddy - I signed up with it a few years ago, and I got pinged a lot. I never went on a ride, but it was very active. London and female, so it will be different for your dad, but he only needs to find 1 or 2 riding buddies to make it work.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
He's not ready for a cycle club yet. I went out a few years ago with a local cycle club, on their shortest, slowest ride. It may be different where you are.

https://www.strava.com/activities/19782871

In the UK I'd suggest Sky or CTC rides. Not sure if there is an Irish equivalent.

As for cycle buddy - I signed up with it a few years ago, and I got pinged a lot. I never went on a ride, but it was very active. London and female, so it will be different for your dad, but he only needs to find 1 or 2 riding buddies to make it work.
That's a link to your profile, nothing from the ride.

Top Bottom