My Dad’s Old Don Farrell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spinningfish

Hello everyone!

My elderly dad has been rather ill of late, which has prompted us to help him clear his house and garden to make a useable space.

In his shed, I have rediscovered his old Don Farrell racer. I remember him riding this when I was a kid (I’m 44 now!) and would love to find out more about it. I’ve no idea of age.

It needs digging out of the shed, but here are some initial photos of it.

Attachments

• IMG_6107.jpeg
    IMG_6107.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6109.jpeg
    IMG_6109.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6110.jpeg
    IMG_6110.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6111.jpeg
    IMG_6111.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 24

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don Farrell was a bike shop in Burnt Oak, Edgware. I used to visit sometimes from Finchley.
This would have been a bought in frame which he put his name on, he didn't build frames as far as I know.
Interesting bike, can't see from the pics enough to date it but would have been 60s/70s. No great value but would be a nice gesture to your father to restore it and get it roadworthy, if it's only a 'oily rag' resto. Might even get you into cycling if not already.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
This one shows what to aim for:
_nc_ohc=_J3YcPdu1r8AX-IGRK0&_nc_ht=scontent-lcy1-1.jpg

Click here for more pictures and details. Well worth bringing back to use again and certainly a collector's item if you prefer to sell it on rather than use it yourself. Maybe your own son would enjoy bringing Grandad's bike back to life one day if the project does not appeal to you.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@spinningfish drag it out of the shed and get some proper picture instead of teasing us .
My guess would be early 80's but some of the components should have date codes which might help with dating it if they are original.
Are you going to use it ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yeahbut after all that time the tyres will be perished and probably won't have puncture protection and cables will be rusted, although he might try getting away with just doing the inners and plenty of grease. Whichever way it won't be an expensive job.

Edit: Looking on eBay I see there are Schwalbe Luganos 25 X 700c X 2 inc tubes for £35. Cables a few quid. Don't forget cables for brakes and gears are different.
Decathlon do some good budget tyres etc.

Last edited:
Going only by what I can see on the gear lever pic, they could be tubular tyres.

Top Bottom