My DIY Tuna tin Meths cooker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Further to my questions to users of Meths Cookers I decided to make one from a Tuns tin with great results boiled 3 cups of water really fast , Next I'll cook the Sunday roast !
A video http://www.flickr.com/photos/28690387@N04/11606367455/
and a picture
11606484366_2e96d07be5_c.jpg

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
No tuna? I was intrigued about how to use Tuna tins. :sad:

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Not sure of the amount used but 10mm approx in a tuna tin lasted about 20-25 mins . I will attempt more accurate experiments in the near future ! I thought it would be pretty naff to start with but have now been motivated to experiment further.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The fuel tank on my Origo stove is stuffed full of cotton wadding which soaks the fuel up when you pour it in.

If you tip it over (preferably unlit :-) )the meths doesnt leak out.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
I did a little experiment 50ml lasted 21 minutes (Costing 17.5 pence at my local hardware shop prices) Is that good or bad ? The cotton wadding sounds like a good idea ! I've now told the misses I'm going to get rid of the cooker from the kitchen and make a mega meths burner from a Fray Bentos tin ( this was not popular !!!) I've not tried a penny stove so I have no idea ,I'll give it a go in the near future.

Last edited:

andym

Über Member
How does it compare to a penny stove made out of coke cans?

Bigger and heavier. Heavier's not that important, but the size in relation to your cooking pots probably is. If you're planning on touring with a big kettle the tuna can might be the right size, but otherwise maybe a bit too big.

Badger Brad - might be a good idea to keep the bottle of meths a bit further away from the stove - at least if there's a risk of the stove getting knocked over.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Had exactly the same comment on another site about the distance between the meths and the cooker.It is a lot further away than it looks in the photo but point taken ! The cooker/Tuna tin is much to big for my camping tins/pans so I would need to find something smaller that said their not too expensive to buy a purpose made one which is smaller.

andym

Über Member
Had exactly the same comment on another site about the distance between the meths and the cooker.It is a lot further away than it looks in the photo but point taken !

… with the government gunning for you badgers need all the help you can get.

Top Bottom