My Doctor actually/honestly said this to me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Some years ago a rather portly doctor was lecturing me about healthy living. When the magic word "exercise" popped out I asked him how many press ups a day he did? 'None' was the answer, which didn't compare well to the 600 a day I was punting out at the time. I'd love a Doctor that digs cycling.

Ganymede

Veteran
Ha ha - I was asked the same question as a poorly old man of 57 in 2013 ... (It was a joke, meant to break the tension before I was told that I had developed blood clots AGAIN!)
I'm getting a pregnancy test on Friday before my shoulder op. I said... er, hubby's had the snip... Nope, still have to do the test for safety. I think the nurse was worried I would be offended at the implication but I cared not!

surfdude

Veteran
when i was a driver for the doctors out of hour service i had a German locum over to work the weekend keeping asking me on how and what he should be giving his patients :ohmy: . i reported him to the team leader and he was taking off the for the rest off the weekend

young Ed

Veteran
Ha ha - I was asked the same question as a poorly old man of 57 in 2013 ... (It was a joke, meant to break the tension before I was told that I had developed blood clots AGAIN!)
only, when i was asked the question she said it in a normal serious tone with a straight face! i reckon it might just have been a case of she's tired and just reading down the generic form
Cheers Ed

Alex H

Legendary Member
As an RAF apprentice, I wanted to do a parachute jump (or 4 as it turned out), so a medical was required with the doctor (who should have been retired many years before) in the camp medical centre.

This consisted of one question "How are you feeling today?" and a physical involving standing on a chair and jumping off :wacko:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Family GPs don't diagnose any more, they stare at the screen and work their way through a checklist of symptoms. If you call NHS Direct you can go through the same process, starting with: "Is the patient conscious?"

ScotiaLass

Guru
Some years ago a rather portly doctor was lecturing me about healthy living. When the magic word "exercise" popped out I asked him how many press ups a day he did? 'None' was the answer, which didn't compare well to the 600 a day I was punting out at the time. I'd love a Doctor that digs cycling.
When I worked in Outpatients (before I was medically retired) one of the consultants used to commute in by bike.
I still pass him from time to time on the towpaths :smile:

Sara_H

Guru
I'm getting a pregnancy test on Friday before my shoulder op. I said... er, hubby's had the snip... Nope, still have to do the test for safety. I think the nurse was worried I would be offended at the implication but I cared not!
Ha ha! I've had similar experience, occasionally with OH sat there.
I have to have frequent gynae stuff done (wont go into too much detail!!!) I'm at an age now though where they at least have the courtesy to look embarrassed when asking me the standard questions about sex habits.

tyred

Legendary Member
My Granddad once went to the doctor with a bad a cough and the doctor asked him why didn't he go to the pub next door and buy a double whiskey instead of bothering him with it!

But that doctor was one of the real old characters. There's a story which often got told years ago about when one of the local mechanics was called out to look at the doctor's car which wouldn't start, he fixed the problem and then charged him £20 for the repair. The doctor questioned the bill to which the mechanic replied to the doctor that the last time he had seen the doctor, he had walked in to the surgery, stated what was wrong, was given a prescription and had to go and buy the medication and the doctor charged £8 for the consultation. Whereas he had come out to see the car, spend time diagnosing the problem as the car wouldn't answer his questions, go and get a replacement part and come back and fit it so surely £20 was very good value for money compared to the doctor's charges :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
My cycling buddy is a doctor and hospital consultant who cycles very enthusiastically.... too enthusiastically at times, in fact. He also abuses his liver quite enthusiastically.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My cycling buddy is a doctor and hospital consultant who cycles very enthusiastically.... too enthusiastically at times, in fact. He also abuses his liver quite enthusiastically.
When I were a lad it was well known that family doctors all smoked like chimneys, and headed the alcoholism league tables.

Ganymede

Veteran
Ha ha! I've had similar experience, occasionally with OH sat there.
I have to have frequent gynae stuff done (wont go into too much detail!!!) I'm at an age now though where they at least have the courtesy to look embarrassed when asking me the standard questions about sex habits.
I find, as I ripen, that I mind far less talking about these things anyway. Age can be a wonderful thing in spite of everything...

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
The Drs.net chat forum has whole threads of secretarial typos. My own submission concerned a lady with good circulation in her foot despite almost total blockage of the main artery; "she may have abhorrent perineals" ('aberrant peroneals' in case you were wondering.)

Top Bottom