My favourite rugby player

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
Before I look - I reckon it's a clip of Lomu running over Catt.

Turns out I was wrong.

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
MichaelM said:
Before I look - I reckon it's a clip of Lomu running over Catt.

Turns out I was wrong.

The ':8:' should have been a clue.

Melvil said:
I absolutely and utterly idolised this guy when I was in school playing rugby (out on the wing, of course):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wilson_(sportsman)

A Double All-black for christs sake!!!!!!!!!!!!! A legend.

I think Jeff Wilson was the only 'full white' in his team, which consisted of either part or full Maori. A credit to his talent.

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Noodley said:
Dayvo, you entered the fantasy rugby world cup? There's a link to it on the "old place":

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12543371

Thanks for the tip, Noodley, but apart from knowing that ENGLAND are still currently THE WORLD CHAMPIONS, I have very little knowledge of today's teams! :blush::eek::ohmy: I couldn't really tell who's who.
However, I tip France to win, with Ireland perhaps being a dark horse.

:biggrin:

Noodley

I don't have a bloody clue either. I entered a team anyway, and have already made a change as I found out I did not have a kicker in the team. Then I discovered I could not change the kicker until next week, so have some hammer thrower listed as my kicker :blush: Maybe the rest of his team will get injured :ohmy:

papercorn2000

Gareth Edwards. End of.

Mind you, that was a different type of game in a different era. It would be interesting to see players of that time in a modern situation with modern training, nutrition (drugs) etc.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
JJ Williams. How did he used to go into one end of a ruck arms and legs flailing and then come out with the ball? I reckon his skeleton was made of rubber.

Keith Oates

Janner
Ian Kirkpatrick, Captain and hooker for the Kiwi's was one of the best players I've seen, his leadership and inspiration for the team was huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Keith Oates said:
Ian Kirkpatrick, Captain and hooker for the Kiwi's was one of the best players I've seen, his leadership and inspiration for the team was huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith! Not 'wanting' to be pedantic, but I will be :blush:, I think you're mixing the 'patricks up! Ian Kirkpatrick was a flanker and legendary captain.
Sean Fitzpatrick was captain and hooker until reasonably recently.

Keith Oates

Janner
You are absolutely correct, Davyo. What a great player though even if I did get his name wrong. I was once at Kings Park in Durban and he was not the favorite man on the pitch when tqlking to the South Africans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Keith Oates said:
You are absolutely correct, Davyo. What a great player though even if I did get his name wrong. I was once at Kings Park in Durban and he was not the favorite man on the pitch when tqlking to the South Africans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I bet! And you remember the '74 Lions tour there when the great Willie John McBride was the captain, and introduced the infamous '99' call! :blush: :ohmy:

Quote from wikipedia: -

'Willie-John's outstanding leadership qualities led to his appointment as captain of the 1974 Lions tour to South Africa. His partner at lock was the late Gordon Brown of Scotland. The Test series was won 3-0, with one match drawn — the first Lions series ever won in South Africa. It was one of the most controversial and physical Test match series ever played. The management of the Lions concluded that the Springboks dominated their opponents with physical aggression. At that time there were only substitutions if a doctor agreed that a player was physically unable to continue and there were no video cameras and sideline officials to keep the punching, kicking, and head butting to a minimum. If the South Africans resorted to foul play then the Lions decided "to get their retaliation in first." The signal for this was to call "99" (a shortened version of the emergency number in the United Kingdom — 999). This was a signal for the Lions to attack their nearest rival players.'

They don't make 'em like they used to!

Top Bottom