My feet hurt...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

squeaker

Über Member
Sandals

Ben Lovejoy said:
I'd then underline my earlier suggestion to loosen your shoes.
Or treat yourself to some sandals. My old Shimano ones have 3 fully adjustable straps, so you can have wiggly toes with firm fitting above the arch. Cool :eek:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ben Lovejoy said:
I'd then underline my earlier suggestion to loosen your shoes.

I'll try that - although I don't have them dead tight anyway. They are quite padded still (you know how shoes eventually get loose because the padding has got compressed? These haven't yet...), so that might be a factor.

I fancied some sandals, but never had the money spare, and then they changed the design and I didn't like them so much. I'll keep a lookout.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I keep mine really loose, so my feet can move around a little in them. This means the hotspot isn't in a fixed place.

Fiona N

Veteran
I think it's just more mileage needed and shoes are a red herring :tongue:

I've been thinking of a jaunt over to (I believe) your neck of the woods for a recce of some of the Big G features. A potential opportunity for a trike jaunt?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fiona N said:
I think it's just more mileage needed and shoes are a red herring :tongue:

I've been thinking of a jaunt over to (I believe) your neck of the woods for a recce of some of the Big G features. A potential opportunity for a trike jaunt?

Could be - you're thinking of Beverley-ish? We could maybe manage a rendezvous somewhere.

However, tomorrow I leave for just over 2 weeks in the saddle (seat;)) through France - that should sort my feet out! So we'll see if the shoes are un hareng rouge.

So, if you come after that (I'm just back in time for York Rally), let me know and we'll see what can be arranged. I'm hoping to do the Big G on the trike.

Ben - my trike being American by birth, it has a sticker on it telling me not to do jumps, or ride after dark, or anything!

You can always drop your trike of to us and we'll cut and weld it back together again with a lower bracket position.

Or, we've just got this really nice Trice in, just your size;)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
You can always drop your trike of to us and we'll cut and weld it back together again with a lower bracket position.

Yeah, and two extra wheels, one of them oval....

Or, we've just got this really nice Trice in, just your size;)

Fancy that! Oh, I forgot. Somewhere on it is a bolt with an odd sized (imperial) allen head. I remember two French trips back, Mike Burrows had to grind a metric allen key down to fit it. I can't remember where, might have been to do with disconnecting the back wheel. I'm sure you'll find it, and have the tool to fit!

PaulM

Guru
I would assume it is pressure problem. The usual advice is:

1. Try a different cleat position, often nearer the heal. Also left/right adjustment.
2. Use more supportive pedals or shoes with stiffer soles. The Shimano A520 spd pedals seem to be a touring standard for recumbenteers.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers - the soles couldn't be much stiffer I think. Changing pedals at this stage isn't possible, but if it persists, I can fiddle with the cleats.

The only thing is that I've not had the problem before, in the same shoes and pedals.

JohnQNT20

Hi, Newbie here. Just finished searching and reading cyclechat for threads on foot pain and cleats .. would like some advice please.

Bit of background first ... since last September I've been riding a trice QNT - about 300 miles total before "the winter" and over 1500 miiles since early March when "the winter" ended. I had never used clip-in pedals prior to riding the trike. Hoping to build up fitness to enable a tour - maybe even a LEJOG later this year or 2011.

After recent rides I'm finding that my feet feel bruised right under where the cleat would be pushing against the centre of the forefoot. I've added a soft insole underneath the cycling shoe innersole but that doesn't seem to help. The shoes are from Lidl and are a comfortable fit for my wide feet. I've tried altering lace and top strap tension - no improvement. It just feels as though the cleat is pushing against the foot causing discomfort, especially after longer rides and as I've got fitter. I'm planning to add something to reinforce the insole to spread the pressure across the whole area of the forefoot - either metal or stiff plastic. Has anyone had success with this approach?

BTW, what I think is happening is I've found the next weak link in the drive train. For the same average heart rate and perceived effort level I'm spinning 3 or 4 gears higher than back in March so I must now be exerting higher foot pressure on the pedal. As cardiovascular output and leg strength have improved I'm now able to press hard enough to hurt my feet! I did my first two metric centuries about 6 weeks ago. After yesterday's 53 mile ride the greatest discomfort was in both feet - even the quads felt OK. I hope I can find a fix for this!

Cheers, John

Shoes from Lidl?

I imagine they are flexing in the cleat area, get better shoes, you will never get new feet so look after the ones you have, that means good shoes.

Fiona N

Veteran
Hi and welcome JohnQNT20
I fear Catrike is right - low quality shoes (and let's admit, Lidl really are too cheap to be high quality ;)) won't be stiff enough for more than a few miles. Moreover, the soles are likely to soften with further wear unlike good quality cycling shoes. So I think it's time to bite the bullet and get a good pair of shoes with a proper rigid sole - they needn't be prohibitively expensive. Specialized seem to be wider than Shimano in the toe box, and other reputable brands have different fit characteristics so you may need to post in the Gear forum to get advice and suggestions. Evans have a sale on and googling for your desired makes/models will bring up the cheapest source although try before you buy is always a good idea with shoes.

Top Bottom