My first 10 miler :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike A

Well, 3 weeks after starting to cycle again I've just completed my first 10 miler - and no stops either. So, here I am, stood on the very bottom rung of a very tall ladder ;)

The great thing about it was that after cycling a regular route of 6 miles or so over the last few weeks that has a 'serious incline' (for me :wacko:), the relatively flat 10 miles I rode today proved to be much easier than I thought it would be.

10.2 miles at an average of just over 11 mph on a trek 7.2 FX. It's a start.

rh100

It's more than a start mate, that's great progress, well done. I managed a 10 mile a short while back but believe me there were plenty of stops ;)

I think when you first start, the hills are a killer, no matter how small the incline, any kind of hill does me in at the moment.

Keep it up, and let us know when you get to the next milestone

Rich

Well done Mike, I've got a regular 10 mile route which comes into use when I've not been on the bike in a while or I need a short pleasant route out as time is pressing, good effort, feels good I bet. Nice bike the 7.2, I think quite a few people have them on the forum, don't think I've heard a bad word about it.

aJohnson

Congrats, it'll keep getting longer and easier.

rh100 said:
I think when you first start, the hills are a killer, no matter how small the incline, any kind of hill does me in at the moment.

Couldn't agree more. I was sick climbing one hill near me when I started, but now I'm doing far more painful hills regularly and getting past them fine.

OP
OP
M

Mike A

Thanks guys,
I appreciate the encouragement - yes, it felt good. A beautiful morning and little wind always helps :laugh:

rh - yes I agree, I certainly remember the very first morning I went for a short ride. The first incline left me completely done in, slumped over the bars, heart racing... 3 weeks later it's still a notable challenge, but it's easier than it was.

Onwards and upwards :biggrin:

postman

Legendary Member
Great keep going.And find time for the all important cake and coffee stops.

Good on you MikeA, keep it up. I cycled all my life on and off and after the off periods it was always difficult getting back. I had to have about 8 weeks off about 8 years ago when I had an eye operation & I never regained the former fitness. I keep trying though.

BearPear

Veteran
Well done! I too am a newbie also on a 7.2 (the ladies frame). I first went out on my very old bike and the route away from home goes up a very steep hill. I had to stop 3 times and was shouted encouragement by an old giffer clutching his pint outside the pub!

New bike and a few more journeys up the hill and it gets a little easier every time. I got an odometer today because I am desperate to know how far I am going - I think I am hooked on this new hobby, but not looking forward to winter.

I have to say though, I prefer my slog up the hills than a sprint along the canal and back, I think I need therapy!

Top Bottom