My first 30 mile ride...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul H

So I today reached another one of my goals by doing a 30 mile ride around Bolton with the Sky Ride guys on a route call 'Tower above the Town':biggrin:

We set off from the centre of Bolton just after 10am at a fairly modest (14-16mph) pace. I found myself at the back of the group pretty much all day:sad:

Wasn't an issue for me as I have never ridden in a group so lacked a bit of confidence. Got talking to one of the ride leaders (who were fantastic by the way:bravo:) and asked about our proposed route?

He said "there was a fair bit of climbing to do..."

For those of you who know the area we went up to Rivington Barn (road bikers paradise) to have a spot of lunch before pressing on to Turton Tower for another brief stop.

I now understand the reason for cyclists such as Jason Kenny training in this area...the hills are like cliff faces and never seam to end:cry:but when you are rewarded with views like the one in the photo below, it really does make it all worthwhile.

Tower above the Town.jpg

Some of them hills really were hard work and I don't mind admitting that I had to walk up a couple for a little bit of them:rolleyes: (as did one of the ride leaders so not too much of an embarrasment) but looking at this in a postiive light, I know I'll be getting better when I can do the climbs without stopping^_^

So all in all I have had a really great day and met a fantastic bunch of people:biggrin:

I would definitley recommend booking onto one of your local Sky Rides...the one I did was classified as Strong, and in all honesty was probably a little bit too much form me to haul my 15 st (and a bit...:whistle:) bulk up some of those climbs, but I now have my new target in mind and feel all the better and motivated for doing so. I also had in mind road bikers rule number 5...:biggrin:

I'm booked on 'Les Tour de Lancs' on the 28th October which sets of from Blackburn and goes up most of the same climbs as today's ride (and at one point passes the road I live on)...and I can't wait:tongue:be great if some other CCers were able to make it too:thumbsup:

Cheshire Celt

Legend
The sky ride strong plus rides are good been on a few any thing below that ride level they treat you like a kid well done on your 30 miles

OP
OP
Paul H

Paul H

Thanks Shaun:thumbsup:

I'll try a 'Strong +' in a few weeks time, so can't really comment...but I must say they didn't treat us like kids today, and we had a couple of 13 year olds with us (who were up and down those hills like they didn't exist...oh to be that age again:tongue:)

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Sounds good fun :biggrin:

I was looking at doing a Strong+ as the Strong was a bit short and slow sounding (12mph, flat, 20 miles ish), but it said "road bikes only" then i looked months later and they changed it to "road bikes and hybrids". Your "Strong" sounds both fast and hilly though! maybe I should work my way up :P

OP
OP
Paul H

Paul H

Good to hear you had fun.^_^
Can't understand people who seem to go out seeking hills, but each to his own.:biggrin:
Keep up the effort:thumbsup:

It's quite good fun going back down them :-)

GentlyBenevolent

Well done - I also did my first 30+ mile ride today and was also up around Rivington. I felt like I was going to keel over at the top of the sheep house lane but like you say, what a view while you wait for your breath to return! Had a nice chat with a group that were heading up there and also stopped for a rest. One of them reckoned you can see to the coast on a clear day.

DaveyM

Über Member
Well done - I also did my first 30+ mile ride today and was also up around Rivington. I felt like I was going to keel over at the top of the sheep house lane but like you say, what a view while you wait for your breath to return! Had a nice chat with a group that were heading up there and also stopped for a rest. One of them reckoned you can see to the coast on a clear day.

Not surprised :eek:

Good effort :thumbsup:

wisdom

Guru
Well done Paul.
We were playing Rugby at Blackburn RFU and there was frost on the ground when we got there.However it turned into a lovely sunny day.
Good luck with the next one.
I am hoping to do the evening ride for children in need from Walton summit/Walton le dale thats a 30 miler in November

Top Bottom