My first 50miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve H

Large Member
Nice one carlfery! I hoping to bag a 50 soon, but need a bit more practice to get there first. How much practice have you been putting in to get there?

OP
OP
C

carlfergy

thanks Steve H I've been going out since the middle of march doing between 13 and 30ish miles, done one ride about 3 weeks ago of 40miles

OP
OP
C

carlfergy

ColinJ said:
That's pretty nippy for a first 50 miler - sounds like the new hydration strategy has paid off!! ;)

(You did drink more than usual didn't you?)

i did take about 500ml of water but ran out a couple of miles from home

rsvdaz

that is fast....must be fairly flat where you live..I live in South Devon and struggle to get an average above 13mph ;)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I can do 50 no problem but cant get 18 average even over 10 miles.Thats impressive for your first attempt.

Very fast indeed. Is your computer set up right or is it a motorbike your on:biggrin:

OP
OP
C

carlfergy

addictfreak said:
Very fast indeed. Is your computer set up right or is it a motorbike your on:biggrin:

i have a mavic wintech ebolt, to set it up i had to measure the circumference of the wheel and enter the distance on the computer

madguern

Congrats on first 50 miler, completed my first last week. You beat me by 6 mins, so now I have a target for next time ;-). Winding up to my first 100 by the summer hopefully.

Well done again,

Rob

croyde

Sounds very good. I did my first over 10 miles last Oct. 58 miles to Brighton but did take about 6 hours including numerous checks of map, drinks of water and a stop at a nice pub about 35 miles in for a pint of ale and a fish and chip dinner.

Davidc

Guru
That's fast - I did my second 57 miler of the year yesterday and it took me 6 hours! Mind, there are some hills on the route where I have to get off and push.

It was a beautiful day and the Somerset and Devon countryside was stunning in the sunshine.

hotmetal

Good effort!

I too made the most of yesterday's lovely weather and clocked up 58 miles, my first half-century since riding the London to Brighton on my mountainbike many many years ago.

I did stop for lunch briefly but the computer said 3'20", ave 16.9, which I thought was not too bad considering I've only had my road bike for a total of (now) 280 miles. Hopefully this will contribute to shifting the spare tyre (foldable of course ;)) that I seem to have round my middle!

Top Bottom