My First Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well I have done a couple of sportive rides, but this Sunday will be my first Audax.

Its the Killhope Grimpeur, organised by Houghton CC. Theres a few of us from Sunderland Clarion CC taking part. The weather does'nt look too favourable at the moment, showers and a stiff wind. But its only 100k and 1800m of climbing.

Anyone else from CC doing it?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Not doing that one,but done a few this year for the first time.1800m is a fair amount of climb on 100k .

I am doing the Rhonnda Taverse next week which is a hilly 100 followed by my first 200 the Carmarthenshire Snapper the weekend after if I can get time off work which I probably can.

I like the relaxed attitude of them.Time for a lunch stop and a chat in a cafe instead of a quick energy drink and banana at a feed station.Will still do sportives as well now and then.

trio25

Über Member
Have a great time, I did my first Audax with people off here and haven't done a sportive since!

OP
OP
addictfreak
Not doing that one,but done a few this year for the first time.1800m is a fair amount of climb on 100k .

I am doing the Rhonnda Taverse next week which is a hilly 100 followed by my first 200 the Carmarthenshire Snapper the weekend after if I can get time off work which I probably can.

I like the relaxed attitude of them.Time for a lunch stop and a chat in a cafe instead of a quick energy drink and banana at a feed station.Will still do sportives as well now and then.

It's an area I cycle in from time to time, so I know what to expect. I usually ride that area with a couple of very fit lads from work, so it will be nice to take it a bit easier and have a coffee and cake stop.

OP
OP
addictfreak

It's an area I cycle in from time to time, so I know what to expect. I usually ride that area with a couple of very fit lads from work, so it will be nice to take it a bit easier and have a coffee and cake stop.

Skuhravy

Veteran
I haven't ridden the KG before, but I know the roads, and it can be a bit of a slog, especially if it's wet. There are some greasy, gravelly, gnarly descents around there. I doubt I'll be beating my maximum speed down Killhope Cross. Great route, though - and Joe always puts on a good spread at the end.

I met one of the Sun'lun Clarion lads (Neil) on Gilpin's Gallop t'other week, by the way. Is he riding again?

I'll be wearing VC167 colours, riding a red Dave Yates, and carrying a beard. Might see you there.

OP
OP
addictfreak
There should be a good turn out from Sunderland Clarion.

The only two that I know who did Gilpins Gallop were Ian and Lee. Not sure if they are riding on Sunday. The weather forecast may make a few stay at home!

Skuhravy

Veteran
Must have been Ian, then. Rides a Joe Waugh.

It's too early to look at the forecast, I reckon - though if this southerly holds up, I'll have a nice tailwind for the ride up from Darlo.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Good luck. You'll be riding 600s before you know it. ;)

OP
OP
addictfreak
Well that was a great day out. Hard going but very satisfying. The wind and rain played a big part on the early climbs.

Well done to Houghton CC for putting on a great event. But where were all you northern cyclists? I think only 47 started!

OP
OP
addictfreak
I haven't ridden the KG before, but I know the roads, and it can be a bit of a slog, especially if it's wet. There are some greasy, gravelly, gnarly descents around there. I doubt I'll be beating my maximum speed down Killhope Cross. Great route, though - and Joe always puts on a good spread at the end.

I met one of the Sun'lun Clarion lads (Neil) on Gilpin's Gallop t'other week, by the way. Is he riding again?

I'll be wearing VC167 colours, riding a red Dave Yates, and carrying a beard. Might see you there.

I couldnt remember what bike etc you would be riding today. Having just re-read your post I remember seeing you out on the route. I was riding a black and white Focus, I seem to remember passing you (going in opposite direction) at Nenthead.

Hope you had a good ride.

Skuhravy

Veteran
You should have remembered the beard ;-)

It was a good day! A few showers, Crawleyside went on even more forever than usual, I had a good chat with a few people (including Ian, and briefly with a couple of others from the Clarion - good turn-out from your lot, I thought). Bit of a nagging wind over the tops to Nenthead, but it was very helpful on the return.

Joe's put up a few photos. Two of me. Thankfully, he didn't include the third, grimping my way up the last bit of Crawleyside.

http://www.houghtonc...k/killhope.html

If you enjoyed that, you'll love the Lanchester 400 on May 7th!

http://www.aukweb.ne.../detail/11-381/

Top Bottom