My first "big" ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biglad82

Well this Sunday I'm planning on doing my first 30 miler, although a haven ridden in 2 year and not done this distance before I'm feeling confident about it and looking forward to it without any concerns, I have purposefully routed the ride fairly flat but over rough terrain and about 5 mile of road............So is there anything I need to be thinking about other then how much pain my arse and carrge will be in.?? cheers mark

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Good luck with it. What has been your furthest ride, so far?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Probably not a long enough ride to have to worry about taking food along but make sure you've got a good amount to drink. And this summer, do not leave the house without some waterproof kit. Finding yourself cold, wet and thirsty would be very unfortunate. Oh, and enjoy your ride - that'll help!

Powely

I'm new to cycling too, I think you'll be surprised how it is to up the miles to 30 and more. I started about 6/8 weeks ago on a 6 mile ride and thought that was far but now I do 30 miles average and 6 seems 'like round the corner'. I do ride a road bike on a fairly flat area to be fair though. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Good luck !
I am doing the cannocksportive this Sunday ,1st big ride for me this year as well.
Dependant on the weather you will need to look at hydration , couple of bottles should do it , how hard are you going to be riding ? you might need to plan a few nibbles .plenty of choice for energy and your bests to try what works for you but favourites are banannas, malt loaf, cereal bars ,energy bars .

What shorts do you wear ? a good padded derriere is a must for longer rides.

OP
OP
Biglad82

Biglad82

Cheers guys,
As just getting back into it, a cheap pair of muddy fox padded 3/4 leggings with padded sack n crack area but by no means super dooper ones,
As for food, a couple of nanas and a chock bar was what I thought about, I haven't got the knowlage of this super fit nutrition stuff yet so good old energy stuff only....

I won't be racing my arse off it only going to be a ride that I can cope with but there is some decent off road tracks I'll be on.

Peteaud

Veteran
Yorkie bar - 5*

chewy

Good luck but I think you'll suprise yourself t how 'easy' 30 miles is!

I'm not being flippant but it sounds like you've done a fair amount of building up and have planned it well so it sounds like your well on your way...and you haven't even got on the bike yet!!!

Hope the weathers good for you too! :rain:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cheers guys,
As just getting back into it, a cheap pair of muddy fox padded 3/4 leggings with padded sack n crack area but by no means super dooper ones,
As for food, a couple of nanas and a chock bar was what I thought about, I haven't got the knowlage of this super fit nutrition stuff yet so good old energy stuff only....

I won't be racing my arse off it only going to be a ride that I can cope with but there is some decent off road tracks I'll be on.
get over to decathlon near ikea (junction 25 is it off the m1 ?)
I use their 5 rated shorts and there good enough for me for 70 miles .I use the 3 rated stuff for commuting as i find they are ok for shoter runs.

OP
OP
Biglad82

Biglad82

the "new bike" is a treat when the money comes so hopefully i'll be a stone lighter and twice as fit by that time.....

never thought of decathlon for bike equip, i been there a couple of times for hiking n camping stuff, but always thought my build didnt warrent looking at road bikes or clothing, but now i'll look the next time im there, cheers..... but i always find the IKEA meatballs to tempting when i go..lol
get over to decathlon near ikea (junction 25 is it off the m1 ?)
I use their 5 rated shorts and there good enough for me for 70 miles .I use the 3 rated stuff for commuting as i find they are ok for shoter runs.

i presume the rating is the quality and not the name ???

Not yet Not yet!

Well this Sunday I'm planning on doing my first 30 miler, although a haven ridden in 2 year and not done this distance before I'm feeling confident about it and looking forward to it without any concerns, I have purposefully routed the ride fairly flat but over rough terrain and about 5 mile of road............So is there anything I need to be thinking about other then how much pain my arse and carrge will be in.?? cheers mark
One important bit of advice - invest in a good pair of padded shorts - eases the pain on the backside quite a bit! I came back to cycling about a year ago but had a heart attack eight weeks ago but I am now back on my bike and today I did a 45miler in three hours. I am very happy with that. The message is - do it - life is too short!

Top Bottom