My first bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
:giggle:
I don't know.
I said in the opening post that it was destined for the tip.

My wife says it still is. :boxing:

And then the fight started.

She may have a point

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It looks well gone, you could restore it but it will really cost you. Only you know if it's worth it. The other thing is I doubt whether you stopped growing at twelve years, so it will certainly be too small for to comfortably ride now.

that top tube looks a bit too rusty for my liking
and me, but with the sentimental attachment to it I certainly wouldn't tip it.

Although from it's condition I'd personally never resto it to be ridden, I'd be sorely tempted to make it into some wall art for your shed/garage/man cave*

*delete as appropriate :thumbsup:

I'd love to be re-united with my first drop bar bike, it was a 5 speed Sun, and whilst it'd be far too small for me now, it'd look fab hung in my shed, IMO anyway :becool:

It looks well gone, you could restore it but it will really cost you. Only you know if it's worth it. The other thing is I doubt whether you stopped growing at twelve years, so it will certainly be too small for to comfortably ride now.

It's the cost that puts me off if I'm honest. It has a value to me, but only to me.

I have a customer that loves old cars, and can afford to have them restored. He found the very first car that he owned while at university,
an Austin 7, that now has pride of place in his collection. He could just go out and buy whatever he wanted, but he doesn't. All his cars have
a family history. Isn't that nice.

As for size I was always an XL. When I was born I toped the scales at 10.5 lbs.
I remember when I rode the bike I had to stop at a grass bank or high kerb, or just jump off.
Kids today have a new one every five minutes; not so back then. Those that were lucky enough to have one bought for them, often s/h,
would have one they could grow into, fitted for a while, and then grow out of.
I believe frames are measured from crank centre to seat post pinch bolt. This is a 25 inch.

I'll need more time to deliberate.
Cheers,
Paul G

David Garside

It would be great just to do a good tidy up and service...even if a few non original parts are used...at least it would be rideable. My first real bike in 1967 (aged 12/13) was a Kerry 18", with 24 x 1 3/8 wheels/ tyres. Gold frame with red mudguards...rode miles on that...wish I still had it...although it would be a bit small now....

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
It's the cost that puts me off if I'm honest. It has a value to me, but only to me.

Depends which way you look at it. You can't put a price on sentimental value, so think of it in a slightly different way.

In it's day, judging by the lugwork, it was probably a mid-range to high end bike, if you take it to a good quality, reputable framebuilder to have the remedial work and re-spray done professionally, you're probably looking at £500+ add to that period correct components in good condition, another £300-£500, add to that tyres, saddle, mudguards etc you could easily spend £1250 doing the restoration........is it worth it?.....only you can decide that.

Now here's the rub........take a trip to your LBS and ask the guys to show you a few mid-range to high end racing bikes and i guarantee they will all have price tags of £1500-£2000 and higher.

See where i'm coming from?

Apologies if this scares the daylights out of you.....it all boils down to how much is the bike worth to you?

If i could retrieve the Vindec Speedwing 25 i got for my 13th birthday (costing £58...i've seen the receipt!) i would gladly chuck a grand at it to put it back to showroom condition..........and i'm not wealthy....but i may be odd :laugh:

Good Luck

My penneth.

why not take it apart, spend a few quid to get it blasted and see what the frame is like underneath. there's your starting point.

if its half decent, get it sprayed so no further rusting takes place. At least that way you can start to pick up the necessary parts at your leisure. if its lasted this long in that state, it may just last the rest of your days and you will have had a good time getting into a useable state.

cycle jumbles my be your friend after that.

looking forward to seeing this one develop (hopefully)

Top Bottom