My First Century

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kruze

Regular
So, I have committed to ride my first century in September. I have always been primarily a runner who would occasionally break out the bike if I was running late for work. I am not entirely sure what I was thinking, but I wanted to set myself a challenge :biggrin:

Now that I am fully committed and have begun riding daily, I am realizing that this is going to be really, no joke, hard. I have begun to do some research with thought of replacing my old bike or improving it to be more suited to the task.

I am currently riding a late 80s/early 90s Raleigh Technium Olympian hybrid (more or less in good shape). I can't spend much more than $1000. What is my best bet?

1) Should I spend the money on a new bike? And if so, what would you suggest?
2) Would it be more cost effective to improve what I have?

Thanks folks!

Sharky

Guru
Is that a dropped handlebar bike? Just googled it and it looks like a classic.

Might be just worth a service and clipless pedals if you haven't already got them and wait until you've some good miles in your legs.
Lighter tyres and wheels are always a good investment.

Cheers
Keith

Fubar

Guru
If you are happy with the bike and it is the right size for you why change? Get the miles in you legs, only you will know how close/far away you are to achieving 100 miles, and you have until September - how long do you have to complete it? If no time limit most people could ride 100 miles, it all depends what your goals are.

Good luck with your challenge and keep us updated!

OP
OP
Kruze

Kruze

Regular
It is a straight handle bike. Here is a pic, if you are interested: http://i.imgur.com/lAUrGW9.jpg
I inherited it from my father, who is a little shorter than me, but I am going to guess it is close enough. I am really not sure how to tell. Maybe I will ride down to a local shop and see if they can tell me if it is the right size.
I have up to 12 hours to complete the ride, and my understanding is that, other than an initial hill, it is relatively flat going.
I will look into the clipless pedal suggestion, and the tires. Thank you!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
So, I have committed to ride my first century in September. I have always been primarily a runner who would occasionally break out the bike if I was running late for work. I am not entirely sure what I was thinking, but I wanted to set myself a challenge :biggrin:

Now that I am fully committed and have begun riding daily, I am realizing that this is going to be really, no joke, hard. I have begun to do some research with thought of replacing my old bike or improving it to be more suited to the task.

I am currently riding a late 80s/early 90s Raleigh Technium Olympian hybrid (more or less in good shape). I can't spend much more than $1000. What is my best bet?

1) Should I spend the money on a new bike? And if so, what would you suggest?
2) Would it be more cost effective to improve what I have?

Thanks folks!

You may find that it is a struggle to get up to managing 50 or 60 miles in a day, but once you can ride that sort of distance reasonably comfortably, it will take far less time than you are thinking at the moment to get yourself to the 100 miles mark - it becomes more a matter of pacing yourself and making sure you eat and drink enough.

Making sure your saddle is comfy will also help - and make sure your bike fits you - there are numerous videos on the internet showing you how to do this, but one of the most basic things for efficient pedalling is to make sure your saddle is high enough. If you put your heel on a pedal, you should be able to lock your knee straight.

zizou

Veteran
With the $1000 price i assume you are US based so i dont really know what bikes are availabe in that price range. You may be able to get a cannondale caad 8 - if you can then it would be worth a look

Sharky

Guru
It is a straight handle bike. Here is a pic, if you are interested: http://i.imgur.com/lAUrGW9.jpg
I inherited it from my father, who is a little shorter than me, but I am going to guess it is close enough. I am really not sure how to tell. Maybe I will ride down to a local shop and see if they can tell me if it is the right size.
I have up to 12 hours to complete the ride, and my understanding is that, other than an initial hill, it is relatively flat going.
I will look into the clipless pedal suggestion, and the tires. Thank you!

Nice bike. Will certainly do a 100 in 12, probably in 8 easily.
Could add bar extensions to give you more variations in hand grip and will also help on the hills, but otherwise, just get the fit right and make sure everything is working smoothly. Tyres look OK and with the triple, hills shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck,
Keith

OP
OP
Kruze

Kruze

Regular
Thanks everyone. I have decided to stick with the bike I have. By recommendation I went out and ordered some clipless pedals and padded bike shorts to make the ride more comfortable. I think I may also need to get someone more knowledgeable to help me fit the bike to me. Your comments have really helped. I am sure I can make this bike work, I just need to get it fit and keep riding :smile:

Since I am no longer looking to buy I am going to ask my followup questions in the 'Beginners' area. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
Kruze

Kruze

Regular
Just an update. I did successfully complete my Century and raised over $300 for the local AIDS program. The bike held together well. I did end up getting new clipless pedals, and replaced the chain, chainrings, cassette, and had to have the derailers replaced just before the ride since they failed (thankfully) during a practice ride the week before. It was a terrible cold day with pouring rain for a good part of the ride, but I made it. :smile: Thank you all for your advice and encouragement.

young Ed

Veteran
well done!
is that 100km or 100 miles?
i fairly recently completed my first 100 mile ride on this
falcon-trail-finder-2010-hybrid-bike.jpg

although with a bottle cage and clipless pedals
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom