My First Club Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well I have decided to bite the bullet and go for my first club run tomorrow.

65-70 miles up into Northumberland, customary cafe stop at half distance.

Looking forward to it, its something I have been meaning to do for a while. Looks like I have persuaded another club virgin to go along too.

I'll report back on how it goes:becool::laugh:

Good luck - keep tucked into that bunch!!

CS

OP
OP
addictfreak
Cheers guys.

I was feeling guilty because i bottled a ride across to the Lakes tomorrow which was due to be around 100 miles with some hard climbs.:laugh:

So I have gone for the club ride to make myself feel better;)

I can always do the Lakes route next time:laugh:

OP
OP
addictfreak
Well that was a great day out:biggrin:

Shorter route than I was expecting, but still very enjoyable.
After clearing the urban sprall of Gateshead, it was off into the countryside of Northumberland.
A nice cafe break, with coffee and soup 'n' a roll, it was then back on the bikes for a blast back to the smog.
Great riding as a group for the first time, its amazing how much easy it makes the riding.
I'll be back next week for another foray, this time deeper into northumberland:becool:

Brahan

Über Member
Yeay! Brilliant way to spend your Sunday isn't it?

More people should be encouraged to get out with their local clubs. I hope your post helps any forum lurkers who may be out there, to bite the bullet too.

did you know anyone that you rode with before the ride?

I've started to think about joining a local club (Sotonia CC) but have been a bit worried about keeping up with the group that i'd ride with. I completed the Wiggle New Forest Sportive last weekend at an average of 16.7mph, i'd normally ride between 15 and 16mph but i guess the relatively flat course and riding with a group in the final 20 miles helped. i've heard stories of guys who ride with a club (not Sotonia) saying that they managed to hang on to the chaingang for 'x'miles and then got dropped. I'm not sure that this is the sort of riding fellowship i'd be looking for.

guess i'll just have to bite the bullet and get me down to a sunday meet.

Windy

OP
OP
addictfreak
WindyRob said:
did you know anyone that you rode with before the ride?

I've started to think about joining a local club (Sotonia CC) but have been a bit worried about keeping up with the group that i'd ride with. I completed the Wiggle New Forest Sportive last weekend at an average of 16.7mph, i'd normally ride between 15 and 16mph but i guess the relatively flat course and riding with a group in the final 20 miles helped. i've heard stories of guys who ride with a club (not Sotonia) saying that they managed to hang on to the chaingang for 'x'miles and then got dropped. I'm not sure that this is the sort of riding fellowship i'd be looking for.

guess i'll just have to bite the bullet and get me down to a sunday meet.

Windy

I had not met any of them before, although I had been posting on there forum for a while. There was another new guy who was also posting and we decided to go along together ( I hadnt met him before either).
When I ride alone I usually do around 40-50 miles and on a good day can average 18 mph.
Although I was a bit daunted by the thought of cycling with a club, the reality was quite different. Just a group of guys all with the same interest. I found the pace of the ride fine, and to be honest I was never out of my comfort zone. I was made to feel welcome and although I was never off the pace, the guys waited for those who were.
My advice would be, to go along and give it a go. Im sure you wont regret it.
There are some clubs out there who have groups of different speeds/distance, so usually you can find something for everybody.

Top Bottom