My first commute to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All good! A mate says 'two weeks then you won't even notice' - it's been a month and it is just starting to come true for me, so keep it up, but listen to your body and rest when it tells you, especially for the first few days.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
garrilla said:
BTW, Cycling will make you hungry. Don't feed it otherwise the weight wont shift.

I really need to remember that.......id weigh about 4 stone by now if I could only stop troughing when I get in from a ride:sad:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
I've just finished my first two weeks of proper commuting....clocked up nearly 185 miles in total.....Now feel that I should ride in all the time, even if I get a lift part of the way back with a colleague...

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Decani said:
I have been cycling for 4 weeks, just a mile or two at a time to get use to riding. I decided to take the plunge and ride to work today. I cycled from Harold Wood (near Romford) to Ilford which is about 9 miles and done it in 40 minutes. I am 18 stone (that's why I am cycling), 6ft and aged 52. My legs ache a bit, but nothing too bad. I am happy because I done it.

Got to cycle home later from work.....help .....lol :biggrin:

Great to hear, keep it up :sad:

Decani said:
I have been cycling for 4 weeks, just a mile or two at a time to get use to riding. I decided to take the plunge and ride to work today. I cycled from Harold Wood (near Romford) to Ilford which is about 9 miles and done it in 40 minutes. I am 18 stone (that's why I am cycling), 6ft and aged 52. My legs ache a bit, but nothing too bad. I am happy because I done it.

Got to cycle home later from work.....help .....lol :smile:

Excellent. Good on you, big fella;)

OP
OP
D

Decani

Hi everyone, especially those who replied to my first posting.

I thought that I would tell you all about my return journey from work to home.

One word describes it....HELL....lol.

I left work at 4pm and made my way from Ilford along the A118 towards Romford. I was heading for Harold Wood where I live.

One problem was the parked cars in the Seven Kings and Goodmayes area. They were parked across the cycle lane completely blocking it, this meant that I had to cycle in a narrow lane of traffic, but I thought sod it, they park in my lane so I can keep them waiting. The cycle lane eastbound in Goodmayes must be one of the worst designed in London. There are car parking spaces on the nearside and the cycle lane is on the outside of the parking spaces. The lane is so close to all the drivers doors that is an open invitation to be knocked off by an opening car door. I ventured on kept as far away as possible and eventually reached Romford. By this time I was knackered and really hot. I gradually made my way up hill from Romford to Harold Wood (via Main Road and Gallow Corner).

I suppose with hindsight, I took on too much for a first trip to work (about 19 miles round trip). I should have left my bike at work anc cycled home another day.

My leg muscles ached for 3 days and they have just recovered. I may ride to work again tomorrow, but return home by train and then ride the bike home a day later.

The trip did help me to realise that I am out of shape (18 stone - aged 52) and I need to gradually build up my distances, rather than doing too much in one go. I haven't been put off and will keep trying.

PS. The guy who mentioned the wind will be againist me on the return journey was right.....it was !

karlos_the_jackal

Work in progress
Well done for doing it decani. I've just started and i really enjoyed my first commute ride into work but the return was a killer with two hills that i was walking, about 3 miles from the end of a 13 miler. Now i ride all the climbs(very slowly)

stretch, stretch and stretch again.

15st 11lbs to start with and now down to 15st 4lbs after 5 commutes.

As obama said we can do it

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Your first commute seems similar to how I started, but my commute was only 3.5 miles! I used to get off and stop 2-3 times, now I look for a longer route to push my mileage up averaging 19mph on the way there and 16 on the way back, downhill and uphill respectively. Keep at it and you'll soon see the rewards but follow your own advice, just do one way, 3 days a week and build up slowly. You'll be using muscles that haven't seen service for years and you want to keep it enjoyable.

Top Bottom