My First Commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Becca,

I agree with what many others have said; the front derailleur needs adjusting as the limit of movement is too much, so it's overshooting where it should pull to and pulling the chain past the small ring and off. It's quite a simple thing to fix (usually just adjusting a screw or a barrel adjuster on the cable by the shifter on your handlebars) - so get the bike shop to show you after they've done it.

Sore backside ? That's normal and your body adjusts after a while. Mine was very sore when I started in 2006, but soon got better. Then when I put a new saddle on 1 and a half years ago, I had to go through the soreness again whilst the saddle softened and my backside adjusted to the new shape.

Good on you for cycle commuting - in no time at all you'll be zipping to and from work and enjoying every second, then you'll start looking for longer routes for an exciuse to be able to stay on the bike that bit more...

Janeyb

Becca......well done for giving it a go - try and stick with it and not get disheartened. Can't offer any technical advice about the bike as I am a newby and still have loads to learn. However all I can say is try and learn to tinker a little with the bike yourself (just learn the essentials like changing an inner tube, adjusting brakes etc) - gives you loads of confidence when you are out cycling alone. I can vouch for that. Also....the sore bum does go quite quickly! I started commuting with padded tights initially and now don't even bother (3 miles each way). Only put the padding on for anything over 5 miles as my backside never hurts anymore:biggrin:. Cycling is great fun when you get into it. I did my first 20 miles last week and was so chuffed. It's great for fitness and mood etc! So keep up the good work.

OP
OP
B

Becca2008

thanks for all the replies :sad: i have booked my bike in for a service at Halfords on friday. i went to them rather than our local bike shop as i bought the bike from them (even if i didn't actually pay for it - long story) and i've managed to talk them into doing the service free of charge as i didn't take it in for the 6 week check. i figured i'd give them a go at fixing it for free before taking it elsewhere.

i didn't ride to work today. i was tired and not really in the mood this morning, so i didn't want to force myself. the plan is to ride to work and back tomorrow, making sure i don't change gear on the way!

if it goes ok, i'll ride on wednesday as well. one step at a time!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Take it at a pace that suits you - I started doing Tuesdays and Fridays (20 miles a day) and then eventually moved to 4 days a week after about 6 months.

Cycling should be enjoyable so don't worry when you have days that you just feel like having a day off from it :angry:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
You should also check that it is properly set up for you, the saddle is at the right hight etc. Your muscles will soon get used to the new exercise and you'll find you self enjoy it. So don't give up...

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
good idea to take it for a short test ride when you pick it up, use all the gears etc just to make sure the same thing wont happen again on the commute!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Becca
With your gears, never run the Big front cog with the 2 largest rear cogs OR the small front cog with the 2 smallest rear cogs.
These combinations cause the chain to run at an extreme angle and causes a lot of wear.... and often a lot of graunching noises. The middle front cog you can run usually with any rear cog.
Hope all goes well. I do an even shorter commute.... and it's still fun!

OP
OP
B

Becca2008

well... just an update. in the end, i didn't take my bike to halfords to be repaired. some of the guys at work heard that i was having trouble with my bike and one of them fixed it for me (his hobby is building bikes, so it only took him a few minutes!)

so my bike is fine now ;)

i have also taken the gel saddle cover off and my bum isn't so sore anymore.

i rode to work and back today and intend to do the same tomorrow. my other half is picking up his new car on friday and is picking me up from work so that he can show it off, so i'll have to cycle to work tomorrow if i want to do two days this week :biggrin:

my fitness levels are poo. i really struggle with the hill on the way home from work (it's fun going down it on the way there!), but i refuse to get off and push the bike because that won't help me in the long run.

thanks for all the advice :biggrin: i'm hoping i'll turn myself into a proper commuter soon :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hi Becca, welcome to the forum, and to commuting! Stick at it, it'll get easier, honest. Your saddle may be fine once you are used to it, but if you find it is uncomfortable long term, think about if it's wide enough for you - us ladies have wider hips and a saddle needs to support you under the bones of the hips, not on the soft bits... But I expect you'll find you just get used to it - any new exercise wil make you a bit sore or achey to start with.

If you're new to cycling on the road, or a bit rusty, most of us would recommend getting hold of the book Cyclecraft - it's a kind of advanced highway code and riding manual. It can help a lot with confidence.

On the hill - good on you for making yourself ride up - I'm rubbish on hills, because York is pretty flat. The main thing is to use a nice low gear, and let your feet spin round, rather than grind up and strain your knees. You'll get used to hills if you have to do one each day!

Finally, as others have said, enjoy it! If you feel you need a day off, take it - especially if the alternative is walking, because you'll still be getting exercise and it'll give different muscles a stretch.

And beware, I started cycling 8 yearrs ago, just to get about, and now I have three bikes and a trike! It can be addictive!...:blush:

Top Bottom