My first commute!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Today I've done my first cycle commute to work! Or partial commute, I suppose, as I rode my new Brompton to the station and took the train to work. I am so happy with the way it worked out. Morning journey time - 1 hour 5 minutes, compared with up to 1 hour 40 minutes for the same journey by bus.

Perfect weather this morning. Fantastic ride home in the dark tonight - it's nearly all downhill and the Brompton is really nippy on the cycle paths.

Since I plan to do this often I think I ought to keep a few things spare at work in case I get wet or something. I'll be commuting in my work clothes not cycle gear.

So far my "at work" list it:
Spare socks, t-shirt & towel.
Waterproof trousers, spare gloves
Spare lights & batteries

I'll be keeping shoes at work so I don't have to wear trainers all day.

Is there anything else that I should have?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yes. Depending on how long the cycling part of your commute is, consider bringing the basic puncture-repair kit with you: tyre levers, spare tube and mini-pump. Enjoy the cycling! :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done Anne!
I keep a basic track pump at work, in case I get a flat when almost there, easier to pump up properly for the journey home.
Also handy for wayward colleagues without one coming to work on under inflated tyres ... tut tut ...

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes. Depending on how long the cycling part of your commute is, consider bringing the basic puncture-repair kit with you: tyre levers, spare tube and mini-pump. Enjoy the cycling! :smile:

plus perhaps a small basic tool kit, just enough for get you home repairs just incase of breakdowns, the toolbag I keep on my bike gets more use by one of my work mates than me.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

I carry all manner of tools on my hybrid, but I've been told that the Brompton wheels are a real pain to get off - and they're Marathon tyres so don't expect I could get those off either. The bike has it's own pump fitted. TBH I think if I have problems with the bike I'd just get on a bus with it.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I carry all manner of tools on my hybrid, but I've been told that the Brompton wheels are a real pain to get off - and they're Marathon tyres so don't expect I could get those off either. The bike has it's own pump fitted. TBH I think if I have problems with the bike I'd just get on a bus with it.
for the length of ride you describe id be inclined to add some gel tubes and forget tools to repair punctures, you can always fold her up and walk as you would anyhow.
well done on the switch though. In terms of extra kit if you can then have a complete replacement outfit in the office, including underwear. If you got a surprise soaking its a joy to just give in to it and change into warm dry office clothes when you arrive. Sometimes fighting the weather is worse than just giving into it.I'm secretly jealous of the riders i see in suits or skirts just purring along on a brompton...no special gear, no special preperation ...just hop on and ride

great good on ya well done..and like the rest say above make sure you carry your basic-repair kit,,,cheers,,,dean,,,,

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

for the length of ride you describe id be inclined to add some gel tubes and forget tools to repair punctures, you can always fold her up and walk as you would anyhow.
well done on the switch though. In terms of extra kit if you can then have a complete replacement outfit in the office, including underwear. If you got a surprise soaking its a joy to just give in to it and change into warm dry office clothes when you arrive. Sometimes fighting the weather is worse than just giving into it.I'm secretly jealous of the riders i see in suits or skirts just purring along on a brompton...no special gear, no special preperation ...just hop on and ride

Jonny, I like your idea of a full set of clothes in the office. I figure that's why they've given me a set of drawers - to fill with clothes, food and cycling gear!!

Top Bottom