My first commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Candy

I cycled home from work today for the first time, I didn't cycle there as I had the work car - it was bloomin scarey!

Both ways tomorrow which should be interesting.

Jaguar

Scary, but exhilarating, non?

nich

Hi, I'm newish to commuting too, and new to the forum! :blush:

I took ages umming and ahhing over it, then finally my rail card ran out, so the night before I packed my bag and set everything out..then just did it.

I'm loving it so far. Takes me between 45 mins and 1hr to get in, which is about the same time as the train, plus I'm saving train fare (admittedly this is currently being spent on bike bits!).

The strange thing is, is that before I started I was hesitant about London traffic, and some of the roundabouts etc.

I actually find its easy peasy, and the roundabouts are good fun. Basically everything in London is start/stop/start/stop with cars barely moving.

It gets a bit more scary for me nearer to home as the roads are clearer, hence cars are driving faster, which makes it a pain to get into position sometimes. I'll get the hang of it! :biggrin:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well done to you both !!

Persevere and you soon find that the days you have to use a car/train you feel guilty :blush:

I find if i have to use the car i feel tired all day as i just flop into the car and do not wake up , i even commute on night shift as its a nice ride .

gouldina

cyberknight said:
Well done to you both !!

Persevere and you soon find that the days you have to use a car/train you feel guilty :biggrin:

I find if i have to use the car i feel tired all day as i just flop into the car and do not wake up , i even commute on night shift as its a nice ride .

Yet another careless driver, asleep at the wheel!!! :biggrin:

:blush:

OP
OP
C

Candy

That's my theory, less money on trains = more money to spend on bike bits!

The majority of my ride is quite pleasant, it's just the last 15mins in London which I find a bit worrying at the moment although I'm sure I'll get over it.

Also my first ride in cleats today which added a bit of extra concern - I figure if I get it all over with in the first week I'll be fine ;-)

Gains

Wahey grats to the new commuters! I started a while back too and it is so nice arriving at work with a raised HR, feeling awake is good for scanning forums!:biggrin:

Definately gets easier getting used to all the lane changes and dealing with fast/er traffic so stick with it and youll love it! Drives it home (ba-dum) when you think how much you save on petrol - filled up for £48 last night and near wept on the forecourt!lol should be last time for a good month and a bit though hopefully!

Good luck with the rest of your rides!

:tongue:

The more cycle commuters the better!

Well done guys! :blush:

Shady

Its great fun once you get into it - i started properly in February and have lost about half a stone in weight and have improved my fitness no end.

Switched to the road bike from the mountain bike a couple of weeks ago so all my commuting is on road rather than mostly on a heritage trail path.

Is a bit more nerve wracking cycling on derestricted roads with cars zipping past at about 60mph+ but most tend to give you 'enough' room.

Just make sure you are super visible - high vis jacket even in daylight can be a life saver !

Shady

Captain

Keep riding it makes you cool.
I only started about 2 months ago, but I am already seeing great benefits over walking and the bus. I got my PB today on the way in too!
Walking = 45mins
bus = 35mins
bike = 10mins
if only there were no traffic lights, traffic or hills I could be faster still.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Best time of year to start, I think. It is still reasonably cool, but warmer and drier than autumn (although February is the driest month of the year), and light morning and evening. Then you get to the cold, wet month of November and you are addicted, and can't stop.

I've lost over a stone by cycling, but am also much fitter, stronger, and can talk to animals (this year it is hissing at geese).

laertes

Always worth getting good cycling maps for London - you dont have to follow the main roads that you might know from driving, and there are more and more cycle paths and little accesses all the time.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Candy said:
The majority of my ride is quite pleasant, it's just the last 15mins in London which I find a bit worrying at the moment although I'm sure I'll get over it.

)

You will! It really isn't that bad at all, and can be quite good fun.

My two pennies is to read all the advice hereabouts about road positioning, and indicating clearly, practicing looking over your shoulder, and also looking motorists in the eye at junctions and lights. Do not go bombing on through junctions as though you are some kind of God.

" Here lies the body of Michael O'Day.
He tried to defend his right of way..
He was right, dead right, as he rode along..
But he's just as dead as if he had been wrong..";)

Have fun.

buggi

Bird Saviour
ooo well done hun. Just come on here and ask questions if you finding any junctions hard to handle. and keep it up... you will soon get nerves of steel!

Top Bottom