My first "commute"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
Dunno if it applies, but what I've done to avoid doing the full distance ( 13/14 miles) is to basically shove the bike in the car, drive to a point halfway and cycle from there. One advantage is that I was able to find a nice 'park' place to start from, so I get a nicer start to my ride than I would if I just went via the roads ( which are admittedly faster :biggrin: ).
I'd been thinking about cycling for a while, but the full distance kinda put me off, so the blooming obvious idea of only doing half the distance was a nice 'right, how can I not do it now?' kick :smile:.

I'm moving to doing that every day before I up the distance again , though I've done the full distance once, but the last few miles getting home I was pretty knackered :smile:.

Oh and the Sunday Ride to a PUB is better :smile:

Dilbert

Had a conference today, at a location closer to home than my workplace so I took my new bike, put on my new helmet, and off I set. All main road, with a marked cycle path most of the way and one large roundabout (Scilly Isles in Esher, if anyone knows it). 3.4 miles later, hotter and sweatier than I planned but in one piece, I made it to my destination. I am SO proud of myself.

Normal work is twice the distance so I may need to work up to that but given todays experience it can be done.

Well done  :bravo:

When I started I could only do one lap of the park (2 miles) so I just built up over a few weeks to the point where I could do 12 (my commute - but it is pan flat) and then went for it.  Don't worry about going fast, if folks overtake you so be it. You will be amazed how fast you will pick up fitness.  You cannot properly describe the feeling you get when you have done it to those that haven't, who will think you are mad. I started commuting again this week after a layup caused by a back problem and feel much better for it already, despite getting soaked one night.  I am lucky, while I was off the bike I have moved jobs on site and am now in an office with a shower and I have keen cycle commuters at the desks each side of me, one of whom does what davefb does.  :becool:

gadders

Well done!!
I've yet to pluck the courage up to commute to work and I feel a bit silly not having done so yet. It's only about three miles by road and two miles to walk it. Usually I go by bus, and why not? I go for free as I work for the bus company. If I've got an early start and there's no buses running, I walk.
I know a three mile cycle run shouldn't bother me as I've been doing much longer runs on Sunday mornings. Last Sunday I did fourteen miles so why am I so chicken about that measly three miles? It's fear I think. Heavy traffic, the threat of mechanical failure and getting to work bathed in sweat. Got to get the confidence to get on that bike! I'm working on it.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Good stuff, you'll find you're far from alone on here, just remember to take it at your pace and not worry about what others do. Three months before I did my first full commute of a 40 mile round trip I couldn't make it to the train staion, 3.4 miles, without a rest...as for sweating....you really don't want to know.

jackm

Wish I could use the bike to commute to work, I'm afraid that my car is my office, and it lives about 10 metres from the front door!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Maximum respect to neffi and fire_one.

I started the commuting lark about 15 months ago in London as a totally unfit old geezer. A gentle ten mile round trip. I found it blooming hard work to begin with, but some kind of addiction has set in and I never even consider taking the motor these days, no matter what the weather is like. The bike just became a whole lot more fun, and is a lot faster than driving or public transport. There is also a certain buzz.

I'm not a great athlete as a result, but I can do longer rides at weekends and love being on two wheels more than I could ever have imagined a couple of years ago.

Enjoy, and best wishes.

Top Bottom