My first long cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Good for you!

Bike fit is important if you are going to ride any kind of distance comfortably, as is nutrition and hydration.

There are many articles on VeloWeb related to long-distance cycling.

You will find that proper food will likely agree with you best. Don't try out new things on a ride. Test out foods on practice rides and stick with what agrees with you under duress.

While it's important to "eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty" a lot of beginners make the mistake of overdoing it.

It may sound like a contradiction in terms, but moderation is the key, especially if you're new to long-distance.

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Randochap said:
Good for you!

Bike fit is important if you are going to ride any kind of distance comfortably, as is nutrition and hydration.
Randochap said:

There are many articles on VeloWeb related to long-distance cycling.

You will find that proper food will likely agree with you best. Don't try out new things on a ride. Test out foods on practice rides and stick with what agrees with you under duress.

While it's important to "eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty" a lot of beginners make the mistake of overdoing it.

It may sound like a contradiction in terms, but moderation is the key, especially if you're new to long-distance.

Cheers. I'll look out those articles. I hadn't practised eating or drinking on the move so I need to do that. We haven't taken anything with us on training rides apart from water, which does explain why I'm so exhausted at the end of a hard ride.

After this ride I don't think I ever want to eat flapjack or jelly babies again but curiously am just off to buy some more bananas. I hate the way they taste but like the way they give me an energy boost. I've entered another 60 miler in a couple of weeks' time and I'll try out my new knowledge and hope to knock off a bit of time. R x

jimboalee

RUTHIEBAV said:
Cheers. I'll look out those articles. I hadn't practised eating or drinking on the move so I need to do that. We haven't taken anything with us on training rides apart from water, which does explain why I'm so exhausted at the end of a hard ride.

After this ride I don't think I ever want to eat flapjack or jelly babies again but curiously am just off to buy some more bananas. I hate the way they taste but like the way they give me an energy boost. I've entered another 60 miler in a couple of weeks' time and I'll try out my new knowledge and hope to knock off a bit of time. R x

Time is not the issue.

Having FUN is the issue.

Having said that, my idea of fun on a Calendar Audax is getting round by covering LESS km than the routesheet.

This means I ride 'free route' between Stamp controls and sometimes go to the information controls 'out of sequence'.

At the finish, the stamp controls are within the time limits and the questions have been answered correctly. Job done.

Randochap

Senior hunter
jimboalee said:
Time is not the issue.

Having FUN is the issue.

Absofreakinlutely!

Having said that, my idea of fun on a Calendar Audax is getting round by covering LESS km than the routesheet.

This means I ride 'free route' between Stamp controls and sometimes go to the information controls 'out of sequence'.

At the finish, the stamp controls are within the time limits and the questions have been answered correctly. Job done.

Ah, that's where "secret" controls come in, Jim.

jimboalee

Randochap said:
Ah, that's where "secret" controls come in, Jim.

Haven't seen one of these since 1994.

On Garmin,
All the controls and Info as Waypoints.
All the 'official' routes between controls and infos.
All the 'unofficial' routes between controls and infos in every combination.

If there is a panel "Secret control", follow the 'official' route until its stamped and then 'ad lib' whichever route I think is best.

jimboalee

Randochap said:
It's the key. It's the fuel.

Its the key to the porch door.

The key to the 'inner sanctum' is muscularity and capillarisation.

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

jimboalee said:
Its the key to the porch door.

The key to the 'inner sanctum' is muscularity and capillarisation.

Blimey you've gone all poetic:laugh:

Think I've got the idea now - eat the right things, drink the right things and train hard .... got it!

I did a spinning class today and tried to "interval train" my way through it as if I was doing hills. Tough .... very very tough ..... but am really trying to enjoy the pain. Just glad there aren't any mirrors because I'm not making pretty faces:laugh:
Ruth x

Top Bottom