My first "proper" ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rabbitthekitten

Here is my first proper ride, 40 miles in 3 hours. I forgot to take any food though. I won't do that again, I did have a sachet of gel which I used in the last 10 miles and a litre of Lucozade Carb drink that I'd made up, but I ran out after about 30 miles. Some of the hills killed me a bit though. But apart from that, I'm quite pleased, I could probably have gone on for longer if I hadn't run out of stuff. Just wondering what other people think of this as a first ride?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
What did you think of it!

I don't know the area, you saved the biggest hill for last though!

40 miles is a good distance, next up is a metric century? (100 km: 62.14 mi)

OP
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

I'm quite pleased, the last hill wasn't too bad, I took the gel at the bottom though so thats probably why. :smile: I think I could do 100km, I don't feel too bad at the moment. I start work at 6am tomorrow, see how I feel then. :biggrin:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
40 miles is a decent distance.hope you enjoyed it and your saddle hasnt done too much damage :-)

Keep on doing a variety of distances then when you feel ready have a go at the metric ton.Im sure you will fly it. I tend to just use normal food such as bananas flapjacks cake etc rather than any technical stuff but use whatever works for you.

OP
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

I've got an app for my phone called Sportypal. It tracks you by GPS and then you can upload it to a site, sportypal.com. It's all free and has loads of good stuff on it. I'd recommend it if you don't want to pay anything.

OP
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

I was going to take some cereal bars with fruit and nuts in and some tangerines. But I left them in my kitchen. Saddle was fine, didn't do any damage at all.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
40 miles is a very good distance, big but not that big as to kill you :smile:. I don't think you'll have problems doing higher with that pace (although it does seem pretty flat where you live).

OP
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

I don't like hills, they hurt. :-( I like going down them though. :-D Although I almost hit a fox flying down one, that wouldn't have fun. :-(

Top Bottom