My first proper tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I have been playing about at a bit of touring, getting ideas about packing and kit and inspiration from people on here. Thanks for those. Last year I did my first ever bit of B+B touring along the TPT to Hornsea and enjoyed it immensely (it was the week before the rain came down).

This year I started off with a couple of camping trips - new tent and front panniers to see how I fared. Quite well, really enjoyed it even though I had rain everywhere I went.

A couple of weeks ago I came up with a rough route and went.
Day one was from home in Oldham to Carnforth in N.Lancs. It was a lovely ride through the Trough of Bowland that wasn't spoiled by rain for the last hour. The end stop was my parents. This was a good port of call as I got to see my neice, the dog, some friends and family and was allowed to do all the cooking (and hide from the rain for a couple of days).

Rain kept me here for two days but I kept myself busy and took advantage of the kind offer from the good people at Wilkinsons camera shop in Lancaster. I'd forgotten to charge up my camera and they did it for me gratis.

The next day in the saddle took me to Kirkby Lonsdale via Over Kellet to see this - Devils Bridge:-

63soqa.jpg

We used to jump off here as kids (and as grown ups too actually). For scale purposes - those are real people on top of the bridge.

There were plenty of motorbikes about here and on the next stretch to Sedburgh as it's a bit of a Mecca for bikers. The road round the back of the Howgills was beautiful and quiet apart from the bikers.

2i95j4j.jpg

20hwnz6.jpg

The sun came out in the afternoon as I made my way via some backroads to Ravenstonedale, Great Asby and Warcop. Unfortunately I missed the unsigned road across part of the firing range and had to endure a stretch of the A66 before I could turn off.

From the Appleby turning I got on the other side of that horrible road and followed some excellent quiet lanes via Mitton to Skirwith and the campsite at Ousby. This site comes highly recommended from me. The pub does great food and ale and is run by a very decent couple. It's the Fox Inn and was this far from my tent:-

29zet20.jpg

The next day was a rest day as the next village along was where my mum and aunty were from and we spent many happy summers there. Melmerby:-

mhx2tk.jpg

I went to see the people I knew, paid a couple of visits to the graveyard and had a real trip down memory lane by cycling round the local villages. I saw this sign in Langwathby where they have had quite a few new houses built:-

r70ye8.jpg

After my mums cousins had finished making hay while the sun almost shone they met up with me at the Fox and ale was supped. I slept soundly.

The next morning got me a free breakfast at The Village Bakery (thanks Hillary :blush:) before I set off up Hartside to Alston. The weather was grim at the top so no views from there and only a quick photo:-

jpu3bq.jpg

A good run was had into Alston and then straight out of there headed to Middleton In Teesdale. The sun came out in the afternoon after an unpleasant detour to Cow Green reservoir -it was so horrible I didn't go and look at Cauldron Spout. High Force was visited.

Teesdale is lovely and I'd like to visit again. The whitewashed houses against the fells looked splendid.

2wogc41.jpg

Bed that night was on a quiet farm campsite near the A66 so not that quiet after all. Excellent food at the Ancient Unicorn.

A fine day took me into the dales and it all went lumpy. Up and down and down and up but I was having a whale of a time. I collared someone for a photo of me at Bolton Castle:-

spksx5.jpg

I made my butties at Aygarth Falls and watched a pair of young stoats playing for half an hour before I dragged myself away for more hills.

I dropped into Kettleswell and camped near Grassington for my best tea of the week. It was my last night so I pushed the boat out with a starter, main course, pudding and large brandy :biggrin:

I woke to rain on the tent and feeling tired from the day before I was very tempted to ride to Skipton and get the train back. I'm glad I didn't as closing the loop back to home gave me immense satisfaction. Riding into "civilisation" was a bit of a comedown but I've got over it.

5 days in the saddle, three rest days (one weather related) over 400 miles and over 15,000 ft of climbing made me feel like I achieved something.

I met some wonderful people along the way too.

I learnt that I like touring, I had a few too many clothes with me, a smaller packing sleeping bag would be useful. Other than that - no problems. What I've learnt on here stood me in good stead :ohmy:.

I'm looking forward to next year already :laugh:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Special mention should go to :-

fk018j.jpg

Delicious and got me through many a tough mile :biggrin:

Available from your local Co-op.

Nice work longers - it is a very evocative reportage and the photos would probably win a few of the 'challenges!:laugh:
Good on you...this is the second 'nice and gentle' piece of prose I have read on here this evening - you and vernon -two blokes on bikes.
Everyone now jealous.:biggrin:

jags

Guru
longers well done i enjoyed that report great pic's sounds like you had a great time ,roll on the next tour.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Well done Longers.

There do seem to be rather a lot of cycle tourers about in Yorkshire just now - I've passed loads on the roads in the last week or so.

So if a bloke in a blue Toyota pickup waves at you, it's me!

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
HelenD123 said:
The more I read these reports the more desperate I'm getting to try a bit of touring!

That's what got me out there, reading on here of the adventures people have had with two wheels (or more) and panniers.

Thanks for your kind words everybody :wacko:

postman

Legendary Member
Going to give this a try ,short weekends away during 2009.Thanks for the inspiration.Here in Leeds we are so well placed for the Dales.My mate David suggested a weekend away last year and i turned it down.Now i fancy YHA at Scarborough.

Top Bottom