My First Ride on my New Bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tal

Hey guys! Today was a rather decent day in Michigan at 45 degrees so my boyfriend and I hit the streets on our new bikes! We had a blast! We didnt go very far, a little over a mile. Our streets are littered with potholes, some the size of craters, and when we got home my back was not feeling any pain. The suspension worked great. There is still some fitting and tuning to be done on them but overall I am pleased with the bikes.

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome and advice. You guys are very kind and are appreciated.

Tal

Tangoup51

Hey there Tal. 45 degrees? Blimey you must of been roasting.
Ah I'm just kidding no one cares if you don't use Celsius here.

I'm glad it went well for you. Sounds like a fair ride, sorry for the potholes though atleast it'll help you dial in the finishing touches.

My "significant other" is in Michigan and have too wondered what the roads are like there for her, I know the roads are much bigger than ours in the UK, guess that means more road for the potholes too huh?

Safe Riding!

Reactions: Tal

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Glad you had a good ride out :okay: I had to check on Google what 45 was in °c lol! Sounds like suspension is the way to go if the roads are bad round your part of Michigan!

OP
OP
Tal

Tal

Oh my gosh!!! I am so sorry! It was 45F here which, for the past week, WAS balmy! LOL We have been under freezing for about a week and soon will be headed that way again!

Thank you, everyone, for the replies!

Tangroup ... Michigan is known for having the worst roads EVER! Not only are there potholes but they dont keep the lines painted on the expressways which make it hard to navigate in dark, rainy weather. I just keep praying that someday someone will get the job done!

Thom ... Yes! The suspension worked great! My back had no effects from the ride. That was a pleasant surprise.

mjr ... Thank you! And I would have to look up anything celcius! LOL

biggs ... It was rather tropical for us! LOL

Doug.

Veteran
"Pot holes" where I live the pot holes have pot holes.
Do be careful, I went over the handle bars riding "in to" a water filled pot hole,was much deeper than I thought,
was so deep I could have drowned " bit of an exaggeration" .
Best regards

Doug.

OP
OP
Tal

Tal

Hi Doug - we say that we have potholes and we have craters. Then there are the bumps and bumpity bumps from where they lay down asphalt and dont smooth it out. Sheesh! No pride in workmanship here! It is ok with me to just stick to the trails. Much safer! Because people dont observe speed limits and you see them texting on their cell phones while driving even though THAT is illegal, too. I will ride in the neighborhood but still watch carefully.

So, we have potholes, craters, bumps, speeding and TWD. I think I will start praying before riding anymore.

Tal

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Worst I had was a pot-trench, 2m wide by about 6m long. Reported it to the highways department, with photo and GPS, heard nothing, chased it up, was told their officer couldn't find it :crazy: got sarcastic and then they repaired it!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
mjr - That literally made me laugh! I hope you or your bike did not get hurt from that experience!
We're fine. I rode over the repair again today. I still don't understand how they failed to see it. It was the sort of damage bad enough and big enough they usually fix them before I report it.

OP
OP
Tal

Tal

We're fine. I rode over the repair again today. I still don't understand how they failed to see it. It was the sort of damage bad enough and big enough they usually fix them before I report it.

Im glad you both got through it ok!

Our pot hole population is going to be getting bigger along with the existing pot holes. We are having enough snow that the plow trucks are doing a booming business. The government is upping what we pay to different sources for the express purpose of getting the roads fixed but it is a never ending process because of the plow trucks each year. I really dont have an answer for it. I suppose they do the best that they can but they dont leave a lot of confidence. :blink:

Top Bottom