My First Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
:welcome:
The Boardmans are good bikes, it will serve you well :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
Join British Cycling, get 10% off at halfords and some other indispensable benefits (3rd party indemnity and legal cover in case of fault / non fault incidents)

Invest a few quid making sure the bike is set up for you correctly if leg issues, a cycling orientated physio would be a good place to start

Slioch

Guru
As previous posters, great starter bike. Might want to upgrade the brake blocks though, the ones that come with Tektro budget brakes aren't the best.

bikeman66

Hey everyone,

I am just wanting some opinions on what you guys think to the following bike for my first ever road bike, I am new to cycling..... I have been an avid runner but due to some lower limb issues (compartment syndrome) I am looking to take up cycling.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-comp-bike-2014

Thanks in advance.
Looks like a really nice bike, and I'd agree with previous replies. Having said that, I managed to get myself a Felt F95 with a similar, aluminium frame/carbon fork, and almost identical spec on mail order from Merlin Cycles last September for £365.00 (RRP £600.00).

Last time I looked I think they were at around the £420.00 mark, so still a good saving. Like the Boardman's, the Felt F95 always seems to get positive reviews and I have loved every minute riding mine. OK, being mail order, you have to fit the wheels and a couple of other bits, but it's a great deal at the end of the day.

AAddict

Regular
Is it just me or do the boardmans seem not be that great a bargain any more? While that bike looks ok, the specs aren't great for £700 IMO.

vickster

Legendary Member
The op is in s Yorkshire, could do worse than going to planet x in Sheffield

Plenty of options eg carbon with tiagra

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSHTIA/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-tiagra-carbon-road-bike

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is it just me or do the boardmans seem not be that great a bargain any more? While that bike looks ok, the specs aren't great for £700 IMO.
Yes the boardmans are not as good value as they used to be but still good value
I would tend to agree. It looks decent enough but for that price you can get the 2014 defy 1 with Shimano 105s if you shop around a bit
As above , sometimes they do end of line sales but obviously if you shop around you can always find something cheaper in a sale for pretty much anything from a bike to a toaster .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The op is in s Yorkshire, could do worse than going to planet x in Sheffield
+1 you cant beat planet x if you can get to the store.
For me Boardman/ halfords have worked out good as my company does the C2W and the final payment is £30 not matter the cost of the bike so its still a saving , my boardman rrp at £800 and came out at less than £600 in total for sram equipped bike.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not sure if you have a Decathlon near you but their range of bikes and value seem to be improving all the time...........well worth a look.
I can only go by the one in Warrington but the the staff I have spoken to are very knowledgeable.

vickster

Legendary Member
So I'm going to assume that is better than the boardman, I do apologise I know absolutely nothing about cycling and bike specifications but I am willing to learn :smile:
Tiagra is the next gearset up from Sora on the Boardman. The frame is carbon, so in theory should be lighter and more comfortable than the alu of the Boardman. But getting a bike that is the right size is key. Go along to PX, you'll get better help than at any branch of Halfords pretty much

Top Bottom