My First Road Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattLiverpool

Just got back from my first road ride and absolutely loved it!!!

I got back and was gobsmacked when I saw that I'd been on the road for 45 minutes. Over that time I covered 12.28 miles at an average speed of 17mph (stopping at every single red light) according to my fancy new cycle computer.

How's that going for a beginner and what kind of average speeds do pros, club riders, you lot, etc hold over that ammount of time?

I think that the main thing for me to work on at the moment is peddling technique. I've started out clipless to try and avoid the problem of having to get used to them after getting to know clips and it was only after about 8 miles that I realised that you can pull as well as push. After that I think that I yoyo-ed between pushing and pulling never doing both at the same time so a more consistent approach is bound to result in more speed.

Matt

RedBike

How's that going for a beginner and what kind of average speeds do pros, club riders, you lot, etc hold over that ammount of time?

Pros - Lord knows, pros don't have to stop at lights. On a time trial you're normally talking of just over 30mph.

Club riders. - A GOOD club rider will be able to time trial (race) 25miles in under an hour; Although you'll probably find most social club runs (Espeshially if they're having to start / stop for th lights etc) will be slower than you were. And this is despite the fact it's much easier to ride in a group than solo.

me? Depends on how late for work I am.
Normally I average about 18/20 on the flat; but include lights, hills, winds, etc and I will be very happy to have averaged 15mph.

jashburnham

Yes the main thing is that you enjoy it. Speed will come with training, experience, increased fitness, better components etc. I'm no pro (not by a very long shot) :angry: but managed an average of 18.1 mph on the dragon ride last sunday. That's a 75 mile ride with approx 6500 feet of climb, the occasional red light and 2 stops at feed stations.

So I'd say 17mph is very respectable for a newbie road rider. Out of interest what bike are you riding? Make sure you keep your tyres up to pressure as this will help with your speed!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I got back and was gobsmacked when I saw that I'd been on the road for 45 minutes. Over that time I covered 12.28 miles at an average speed of 17mph (stopping at every single red light) according to my fancy new cycle computer.

My computer is calibrated differently - it only lets me do averages of 16 mph ;)

OP
OP
M

MattLiverpool

Riding a Trek 1.7

I did the same route again on Tuesday this week and had the time down to 40mins with an average speed of 19mph but there were fewer red lights. What's the general consensus on how quickly to speed up from a stand still. It's no fun shooting off and then slowing down for the next lights and plays havok with my heart rate but a more sedate pace to start with means lower average speeds.

It was more fun going faster but only being out for 40mins felt a bit short so I'm going to have to get out for a longer ride. Luckily the Mrs is working all weekend so I'll get myself some spare inner tubes just in case and try a few more miles at a sensible pace.

I really am loving it at the moment tho

Top Bottom