My First Sportive, Done!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abrooks100

Extremely tough day on the bike yesterday and suffering today, but all that said I got through my first ever Sportive and my longest distance ever rode to date!

Richmond 4 Dale Sportive (80 miles):
Ride time: 6.51, Average Speed: 12.1mph, max speed: 43mph, Distance 83 miles.

After all my worrying about Punctures and what to take with me repair wise I didn't have a single problem with the bike, although I did pass alot of people who did suffer punctures!

This Sportive was extemely tough! Most of the Climbs averaging between 20% - 25% gradients! The first big climb of the day, 'The Stang' was the toughest in my opinion!

I am certainly no mountain goat though and need to start doing more hill training!
I am well up for the Northern Rock Cyclone now, great organisation yesterday by Richmond Cycle Club. Look forward to next year!  

Garz

Squat Member
Well done mate.. now get logging on MyCyclingLog if you havnt already done so!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:tongue:;):smile::biggrin:

Wasn't that hard now, was it :smile: ?

IME the thought of it and 'how it is done' are often worse than the actual ride. After all, it's just getting on the bike and pedalling a bit more than you have done before :biggrin: .... isn't it ???

WELL DONE INDEED !

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Nice one. I am doing my first in July, lots of long climbs on mine but no 25 % bits as far as i know.excuse my ignorance but does 25%mean a 1 in 4 hill?

515mm

Well done indeed. :ohmy: Superb effort.

My first hurt like hell too - I was so tired at the finish I couldn't think how to get the timing chip off my bike. Turns out I hadn't eaten enough food and I'd pushed too hard on the hills. With experience, it'll get easier. Learning how to ride in the pack, when to eat, when to slow down a bit to recover - it'll make you a lot faster whilst actually expending less energy.

Enjoy!

p.s. 20 and 25% hills? All a bit silly really. I hope the view was worth the effort. Sometimes it's like some sort of arms race. Or cock measuring.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Nice one, well done. Did my first one 2 yrs ago (Northern Rock Cyclone) at 63 miles. Did the 100 miler option last year... doing it again this year... June 12th. :ohmy:

Top Bottom