My first sportive!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PalmerSperry

(Oder mein erstes Radmarathon?)

Did the Glocknerkönig Classic this morning. 27km long, 1690m of elevation gain along the way! The first 7km from Bruck to Fusch is basically flat, so my plan to wheelsuck the entire way whilst keeping the heart rate below 150bpm worked like a charm! Slightly worrying when an ambulance went past at about 5km with it's lights on, but I think that was just a positioning move rather than an actual emergency.

After Fusch however the Glocknerstraße heads inexorably upwards (well there's maybe 2-300 metres of flat at the toll booths) I switched to part 2 of the plan - namely keep the heart rate below 180bpm and slog my way up. Used the outsides of the hairpins (both left and right hand) to try to give my heart and legs a short break until I'd climbed about 1000m at which point I started seeing the first descenders.

My plan for a sprint finish (well, such as I was still capable of by that point!) basically didn't happen due to restricted road space, another competitor and spectators in the road. Oh well ...

Took me 2 hours 41 minutes 27.1 seconds to make the ascent (but only a fraction over 46 minutes to get back down! :laugh:), which is 1 hour 21 minutes 40,9 seconds behind the "winner". 1614 place overall (out of 2108 finishers), 481 out of 579 finishers in my age group.

I'll (probably) be back next year ...

Interesting bike choices :-
First of all, maximum respect to the 2 guys doing it on hand trikes!
Saw 1x Rohloff, 1x Birdy, 1x tandem, 1 guy pulling a child trailer (complete with child!) and quite a lot of full-suspension MTBs with nobbly tyres.
There was also someone doing it on a Schlumpf-equipped unicycle! (WTF?)

PS: I was closely passed by a car on the way back down (once I'd reached the section where the road was re-opened), anyone care to guess which country the car was from?

rsvdaz

well done..when i first saw the distance i thought pah!...but then i read the climbs!!

OP
OP
PalmerSperry

PalmerSperry

rsvdaz said:

Austria! From Bruck an der Glocknerstraße up Großglockner (the tallest mountain in Austria).

I have a book _100 Alpenpäss mit dem Rennrad_ (100 Alpen Passes with the Racebike_) which recommends 39/26 (so 39.4 gear inches) for your lowest gear when attempting this cimb. I had a 34/27 (33.1 gear inches) and I'm not convinced a triple wouldn't have been better for my knees. (1 hour 51 minutes of climbing with an average cadence of 45 can't have been good!)

Top Bottom