My First "Touring Ride"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Each to their own on saddles. I have done a great deal of touring and have used Brooks saddles for over 30 years. I did a 10,000-mile solo ride around Australia in regular shorts, no padding, on a Brooks B-17 riding anywhere from 100 to 160 mikes per day and don’t recall ever even noticing the saddle, it went the distance and is still fine.

OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

Each to their own on saddles. I have done a great deal of touring and have used Brooks saddles for over 30 years. I did a 10,000-mile solo ride around Australia in regular shorts, no padding, on a Brooks B-17 riding anywhere from 100 to 160 mikes per day and don’t recall ever even noticing the saddle, it went the distance and is still fine.

They are a tad rich for me, but you look to be on a whole other level than I am. I'd invest that in the right helmet though.

hoopdriver

Guru
They are a tad rich for me, but you look to be on a whole other level than I am. I'd invest that in the right helmet though.
Without getting into any helmet debate, one way or the other, your money would be better spent on getting the best possible saddle (of whatever type). Whatever your belief on the efficacy of helmets, the chances are - hopefully - you will never actually use the helmet for its intended purpose, that is, protecting your skull against a hard blow to the pavement. You will, on the other hand, use your saddle constantly. It is a main contact point with your bike and if you are not comfortable you will not enjoy any part of the ride.

Helmets are all made to a certain prescribed safety standard and to this degree, they will all be alike. Saddles are all different. You need to find the one that is right for you. Seriously, I would spend the money on the saddle.

OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

@hoopdriver - You do make a convincing argument. Especially since 90% of my rides are trail rides I probably don't need something that would survive a train crash.

With the saddle, I had already ordered one a couple of days ago. Not up to your standards but it's a helluva lot better than the Gel G9 I have now.

Here's the one I ordered yesterday: Charge Spoon

I've also been saving up for a new bike as well, so I'm going to hold off on the premium products on my old one for now.

OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

http://www.smf.org/stds.html
Snell Memorial Foundation sets the standards for sports, here they all are. B-90 is for cycling.

Awesome resource, thanks man! It also led me to the US standard (CPSC Certified) helmets as well. Found a decent one that's well within my budget: Gonex helmet

Edit: Looks like the B90 and CPSC standards are nearly identical.

Last edited:

StuartG

slower but further
The Canal du Midi's towpath is just a rough grass track, very slow going at sub 5 mph.
Well I did that considerably faster than 5 mph on a Brompton on the section from the Garonne to past Carcassonne. But then I had a Brooks saddle so no pain for me.

That's the point you can't beat a Brooks if your crutch fits. Worth every penny for the pleasure. If it doesn't then its going to be hell. Which points not so much to finding a comfortable combination for you well in advance of your trip so you aren't going to worry about the third and fourth day. A tour is not the time to experiment. Plus it can take a Brooks saddle several months to mould your buttocks into the right shape [some deluded people think its the other way round!].

Canals are, by definition flat, so you don't have to worry much about weight. I've never yet filled two panniers even with a laptop. Working out what you need to take and, more importantly, what you don't need is worth researching. Also to keep a record of what you use so you can go with even less next time.

Enjoy. Then maybe you can write up and enjoyable report to seduce some of us across the pond to try something new. Though personally that won't be before 2021 :whistle:

OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

Well I did that considerably faster than 5 mph on a Brompton on the section from the Garonne to past Carcassonne. But then I had a Brooks saddle so no pain for me.

That's the point you can't beat a Brooks if your crutch fits. Worth every penny for the pleasure. If it doesn't then its going to be hell. Which points not so much to finding a comfortable combination for you well in advance of your trip so you aren't going to worry about the third and fourth day. A tour is not the time to experiment. Plus it can take a Brooks saddle several months to mould your buttocks into the right shape [some deluded people think its the other way round!].

Canals are, by definition flat, so you don't have to worry much about weight. I've never yet filled two panniers even with a laptop. Working out what you need to take and, more importantly, what you don't need is worth researching. Also to keep a record of what you use so you can go with even less next time.

Enjoy. Then maybe you can write up and enjoyable report to seduce some of us across the pond to try something new. Though personally that won't be before 2021 :whistle:
Day 1 of practice was snowed out. 6" of snow. Awesome. I'll share some of my tour practice journeys too.

2021? Surely that was a typo!

The problem of your saddle discomfort is exacerbated by your riding position. Your bars are so very high up that your 'fanny' (I'm fluent in American) is carrying virtually your whole body weight. Just moving ten or fifteen percent of your weight off the seat and onto the bars will reduce the load on your butt. It would have the added benefit of making you incrementally more aerodynamically efficient.

The more upright the bike, the wider your saddle needs to be - to effectively support your weight. So racing bike saddles are slender and Schwinn cruiser saddles are wide. Good quality narrow race saddles can be found everywhere. The saddle you're using is undoubtedly a monster, but it's actually a real challenge to buy a good quality saddle which has the width to cater for an upright riding position. Euro brands like SR. I think Specialized sell various widths??

Additionally, a saddle, if it is to carry your weight effectively must be flat. or as close to horizontal as possible - with your weight on it. Sprung saddles should be set up to allow for a certain amount of spring sag, so tilted slightly down at the nose when unweighted. Yours looks flat, or even slightly nose up. It's no wonder you're finding it uncomfortable. Try tilting it forward a little and it might make all the difference you need.

OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

@mickle - That's make sense. When I first started riding around 2013 or so, I started with the lean forward approach. But I have a herniated disk in my lower back and found that after just 5-10 minutes I was develop excruciating pain in the lower back which quickly turned to muscle cramps and back spasms. Adopting an upright seating position fixed the worst of it. I can ride upright for an hour or two until my back tenses up enough I need to stop and stretch it out.

My next ride I'll try a small adjust with bars down slightly and seat tilted a hair and see how it feels. And take it incrementally from there.

It's also why I ride a hybrid. Bikes with drop bars kill my back. Unless it's because I've had the set up all wrong from the get go when riding while leaning forward.

I should work on strengthening my core. That would probably help to stabilize the lower back somewhat.

OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

@Gravity Aided

A friend of my who is a physical therapist recommended Yoga as well. Among the numerous different styles I found one that would be great for beginners.

Also for the Focus T25 program that has a great core strengthening section.

natnatroswell22

This year we're planning a 4 day ride on the C & O Canal path from D.C. to Cumberland (184 Miles). The days will be 43 miles, 42 miles, 40 miles, 59 miles; OR 43 miles, 42 miles, 51 miles, 48 miles, depending on how we decide to break it up.

We'll be staying hotels along the way to help lessen the blow (yeah right) then plan to stay an extra day in DC enjoying what it has to offer.

To prepare we'll be increasing our ride lengths over the next five months to build up endurance and butt muscle. :-)

Has anyone here ridden the C & O Towpath, or GAP, or even the whole path?

I would suggest the 2nd one and I do agree with I like skol's opinion, biggest distance at the last day ride isn't the best option. Have a great ride buddy :smile:

Top Bottom