My First "Touring Ride"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BPCycler

This year we're planning a 4 day ride on the C & O Canal path from D.C. to Cumberland (184 Miles). The days will be 43 miles, 42 miles, 40 miles, 59 miles; OR 43 miles, 42 miles, 51 miles, 48 miles, depending on how we decide to break it up.

We'll be staying hotels along the way to help lessen the blow (yeah right) then plan to stay an extra day in DC enjoying what it has to offer.

To prepare we'll be increasing our ride lengths over the next five months to build up endurance and butt muscle. :-)

Has anyone here ridden the C & O Towpath, or GAP, or even the whole path?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sounds great that you have the opportunity and time to do this. I assume this is America?
Most of the people on this forum are in the UK so can't really comment on your route plan but I would suggest you go for plan B as saving the biggest distance for the last day probably isn't the best option.

OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

I agree. I'd like to break it up so the first day is the longest and the last day is the shortest, but it's not going to work out that way. So I'm pushing for plan B.

Yes, it's America. Starting at the nation's capitol and ending in Western Maryland. With lots of great sights along the way.

I may have to address the saddle though. After 20 miles I'm in some discomfort.

I've done a few canals in the UK and on the continent on my recumbent trike.
What determines how easy they are to cycle along is the surface of the towpath.
The Canal du Midi's towpath is just a rough grass track, very slow going at sub 5 mph.
Some of the Loire - Saone - Doubs - Rhine system is good tarmac and the same speed as the road, about 10-12 mph.
The Main - Danube towpath is plain macadam, 6-9 mph depending on how rough.
As it's the USofA you can probably check views on Google maps as to how smooth-rough the path is.

Luck ......... ^_^

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Saddle comfort is always a tricky issue and sometimes a bit counter intuitive.

What bike and saddle do you currently use? It might simply be a matter of adjusting your position on the bike providing the bike is the right size for you. Handlebar position is as important as saddle adjustment for comfort on longer rides and you may need to alter the saddle height, tilt and fore/aft position.

This is where it becomes a bit counter intuitive. You might think you want a large padded saddle for comfort but this would normally be wrong and a good, smaller saddle is usually superior. Good doesn't mean expensive. A lot of people here in the UK (myself included) swear by the Charge Spoon saddle for being all day comfortable and these can be bought for less than £20. My wife also grumbled about comfort on her bike until I got her the female version, the Charge Ladle and this transformed her bike happiness. The Ladle is a lot like the Spoon but just tailored more to suit the female bone structure and anatomy.

If you can post a picture of your bike and also get someone to take a side-on picture of you sat on your bike we might be able to give you a few pointers on your current set-up.

Many people also swear by the need for cycling specific padded shorts. I have always argued that these are not necessary if you have the right saddle and bike-fit. I don't wear cycle shorts or padding and often ride over 100 miles in a day and even 180+ once and I was still happy to sit in the saddle the next day (legs weren't so keen though :laugh:).

Let us know what you have and you might just need to get out the tools for a few adjustments without having to spend anything on new parts :okay:

I agree. I'd like to break it up so the first day is the longest and the last day is the shortest, but it's not going to work out that way. So I'm pushing for plan B.

Yes, it's America. Starting at the nation's capitol and ending in Western Maryland. With lots of great sights along the way.

Saddles are a pain in the arse, what suits one person is a nightmare for other's I have cycle toured for more years than I want to think about, and after trying many sadddles recommended as flavour of the month by others, I also found the Charge spoon, one of the most comfortable ones I have tried. I can only tell you to try different saddles over a period of time and see what one suits you best.

OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

What determines how easy they are to cycle along is the surface of the towpath.
The Canal du Midi's towpath is just a rough grass track, very slow going at sub 5 mph.
Some of the Loire - Saone - Doubs - Rhine system is good tarmac and the same speed as the road, about 10-12 mph.
The Main - Danube towpath is plain macadam, 6-9 mph depending on how rough.

Not a fan of grass paths at all. But the trail I mostly ride does have a few sections. But for the most part it's packed, hard soil and some stretches of super fine, crushed gravel. Good for 10-15 mph speeds on most of the trail. I tend to average 10-1 2mph and that's how I'm planning my timing on the coming tour.

Just wanna enjoy the journey.

Sounds like you ride quite a bit. Do any road rides?

OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

What bike and saddle do you currently use? It might simply be a matter of adjusting your position on the bike providing the bike is the right size for you. Handlebar position is as important as saddle adjustment for comfort on longer rides and you may need to alter the saddle height, tilt and fore/aft position.

A lot of people here in the UK (myself included) swear by the Charge Spoon saddle for being all day comfortable and these can be bought for less than £20. My wife also grumbled about comfort on her bike until I got her the female version, the Charge Ladle and this transformed her bike happiness. The Ladle is a lot like the Spoon but just tailored more to suit the female bone structure and anatomy.

If you can post a picture of your bike and also get someone to take a side-on picture of you sat on your bike we might be able to give you a few pointers on your current set-up.

Let us know what you have and you might just need to get out the tools for a few adjustments without having to spend anything on new parts :okay:

I have a 2013 Giant Sedona DX, but have replaced the stock saddle but can't remember with what. :-(

Right now there's 8" of snow on the ground so I'll get a picture when it clears up. But below are a couple pics that I have taken in the past. The seat height is to the point that my leg is almost completely straight when the pedal is closest to the ground. It's adjusted so that I have only a very slight bend in the knee. The tilt is as level as I can eyeball it.

Since you mention it, I probably could stand a more narrow saddle. Our butt bones aren't as wide as the ladies'.

ps- I didn't realize how poor the angle of the shots are. I'll get a couple straight on shots when I can get the bike back out.

Attachments

• file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 73
  • file (1).jpeg
    file (1).jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 80
  • file (2).jpeg
    file (2).jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 75
  • file-2.jpeg
    file-2.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 55.jpeg
    55.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

Saddles are a pain in the arse, what suits one person is a nightmare for other's I have cycle toured for more years than I want to think about, and after trying many sadddles recommended as flavour of the month by others, I also found the Charge spoon, one of the most comfortable ones I have tried. I can only tell you to try different saddles over a period of time and see what one suits you best.

You're the second person to recommend that. Must be a sign. :angel:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
@BPCycler that saddle definitely looks like one of the horror chunky gel type that are commonly fitted thinking that they look 'comfy'.

The first thing my wife said when I showed her the new saddle I had chosen for her was "OMG it's too narrow" then she touched it and said "OMG it's too hard". I insisted she tried it and we did a 20 mile ride one nice Sunday. The next day she popped home for lunch and begrudgingly admitted she could barely tell she had been for a ride the day before! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

The Amazon USA version has the Spoon and is only $36, but the one I Like Skol found at Merlin Cycles is only $20. Pretty cheap. I'm going to go ahead and grab one. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

@BPCycler that saddle definitely looks like one of the horror chunky gel type that are commonly fitted thinking that they look 'comfy'.

The first thing my wife said when I showed her the new saddle I had chosen for her was "OMG it's too narrow" then she touched it and said "OMG it's too hard". I insisted she tried it and we did a 20 mile ride one nice Sunday. The next day she popped home for lunch and begrudgingly admitted she could barely tell she had been for a ride the day before! :thumbsup:

That's exactly why I went with the "gel" saddle. Soft cushioned placed for the rear end.

When you can't tell you've been for a long ride the day before you know it's the right product! Tell her I'm buying one on her recommendation. :-D

Top Bottom