Touring Wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

I had a look at the bearings on the Raleigh Royal today. Not half bad. Really smooth and easily have 350 km in them. The guy who I had the bike off said he had it serviced twice a year and I tend to believe him as apart from some awful Tektro cantilever brakes it is a sweet ride.

I bloody love it! Best £60 I have spent in a long time. 😁

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Nobody on the thread will say that they told you so :smile:

Just a note - because these are QR hubs, you did remember the adjust them and then just back off the thread to free them up a gnat's nadger because the QR will compress it all down perfectly when done up (if not, they will to run too tight as they get compressed)

OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

Nobody on the thread will say that they told you so :smile:

Just a note - because these are QR hubs, you did remember the adjust them and then just back off the thread to free them up a gnat's nadger because the QR will compress it all down perfectly when done up (if not, they will to run too tight as they get compressed)

Yes, there are some really good YouTube videos out there. 👍

I am not new to touring, but have had a lengthy lay off. We have undertaken some pretty big tours years ago.

Believe it or not, many years ago I bought a frame and built my own bike very successfully. So, I know I can do this stuff when I need to.

I apologise if I caused offence. It was certainly not my intention.

In my defence, your opening post on this forum has you self identifying as a newbie ;)

..... can tend to overthink things.
Thinking is good! Great, in fact. But like a lot of things, overdoing it can be counterproductive.
Sometimes, stuck indoors, waiting for A,B & C to happen before we can do X,Y or Z leaves far too much time for thinking. I think it's important to keep that thinking on a positive, beneficial course. Personally, once the basics are covered, I prefer to divert my attention away from thinking and towards inspiration. Thinking can hold me back. Inspiration pulls me forward.

Your hubs are fine. Now it's time to start worrying about the gearing! ^_^

OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

In my defence, your opening post on this forum has you self identifying as a newbie ;)

Thinking is good! Great, in fact. But like a lot of things, overdoing it can be counterproductive.
Sometimes, stuck indoors, waiting for A,B & C to happen before we can do X,Y or Z leaves far too much time for thinking. I think it's important to keep that thinking on a positive, beneficial course. Personally, once the basics are covered, I prefer to divert my attention away from thinking and towards inspiration. Thinking can hold me back. Inspiration pulls me forward.

Oh no offence at all caused. I appreciate all of the help and advice I get here. I am a newbie in the sense I have never undertaken any touring in a drop handlebar "traditional" touring bike or used navigation etc. Things have moved on massively since I last did it.

Yes, the gearing and definitely the braking are on my thinking agenda. 😁

Punkawallah

Über Member

Thinking can be overrated. Look at all the great ‘thinkers’ - Kant, Socrates, Descartes. Where are they now? Under the sod. Doers, now, can get up to all sorts of trouble :-)

HelenD123

Guru
As well as checking the hub, get someone to have a check on the rims to see how much wear there is. Or you can do it yourself if there's a wear indicator. They don't last forever, as I found out half way across Canada :cry:. If the guy you bought it off has been getting it serviced twice a year he may have been putting a fair few miles on it.

Top Bottom