Touring Wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
I just got some super wheels of e bay S/H for 90 notes. Had only done 100 miles. Just don't be in a rush to get a bargin and there is a good chance something will come up. .

Jameshow

Veteran
I just got some super wheels of e bay S/H for 90 notes. Had only done 100 miles. Just don't be in a rush to get a bargin and there is a good chance something will come up. .

I got a pair of new ridley rc31 wheels for £25 bargain!

Worth looking out for ex carbon bike wheels where the mamil has upgraded to a faster set. But avoid maddux from Cannondale which historically were poor quality.

Scott and trek are ok tbh.

Gillstay

Über Member
I got a pair of new ridley rc31 wheels for £25 bargain!

Worth looking out for ex carbon bike wheels where the mamil has upgraded to a faster set. But avoid maddux from Cannondale which historically were poor quality.

Scott and trek are ok tbh.

Yep, just the same, chap had immediately upgraded his wheels. Money to burn. I got fabulous binoculars the same way.

OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

You fancy new wheels don't you? ^_^

If adjusted correctly and lubed they will be fine. Q are one of, if not the biggest manufacturers of hubs in the world aiui.

I vote for Spa wheels also.

I do! 😁

However, I had no idea Quando made hubs in such vast quantities. They must have some good points! I am gonna strip them down and see what's what.

OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

I have seen this Rigida/Ryde Wheelset, 36 spokes, sealed bearings as new for a decent price. Thoughts? Any better than my Quandos?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-03-06-07-38-16_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-03-06-07-38-16_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

What are the hubs?
Do you use a freewheel Vs a cassette?

It just said sealed hubs in the ad.

I currently have a Shimano 11-32 cassette on the bike.

I will be honest I don't know too much about gearing, cassettes, freewheels etc.

Punkawallah

Über Member
It just said sealed hubs in the ad.

I currently have a Shimano 11-32 cassette on the bike.

I will be honest I don't know too much about gearing, cassettes, freewheels etc.

If you spin the rear wheel gears backwards, and only the cogs move, it’s a freewheel. If the cogs -and- the middle moves, it’s a freehub with cassette.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have seen this Rigida/Ryde Wheelset, 36 spokes, sealed bearings as new for a decent price. Thoughts? Any better than my Quandos?
What @Jameshow points out is that that wheelset is a freewheel hub. Since you need a hub with a freehub (cassette) this wheelset is a non starter.
You need a wheelset with 32 spokes both wheels (36 OK too) and a 130mm OLN freehub rear hub. Rims need to be for rim brakes (ie not disc) and not super narrow (look for 17mm internal rim width or more than half the width of the tyres the frame has room for).

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

What @Jameshow points out is that that wheelset is a freewheel hub. Since you need a hub with a freehub (cassette) this wheelset is a non starter.
You need a wheelset with 32 spokes both wheels (36 OK too) and a 130mm OLN freehub rear hub. Rims need to be for rim brakes (ie not disc) and not super narrow (look for 17mm internal rim width or more than half the width of the tyres the frame has room for).

Thank you. I have emailed Spa today so I am hopeful of a response tomorrow with their suggestions. 👍

Can anyone recommend a half decent wheel set that won't break the bank?
Yes. The set you already have! ^_^

I'd urge you to slow down. Learn.

Then, when the time comes you can upgrade your wheels based on what you want, rather than what won't break the bank. I know someone who'd say that it's easy to go broke saving money. Spend the money once, but wisely.

For instance, some people want to run tubeless tyres. They'll need compatible rims. Some of us want a dynohub for lights on foreign roads and recharging capabilities. That'll require a rebuild, at least.
You mention another "touring bike" too? Would it be useful to have the ability to interchange wheels?

There doesn't appear to be an immediate need? Elsewhere, you're planning a 350km river ride in NL & Germany. Personally, I'd see no need to be changing wheelsets now. In fact, I'd be looking at my wheels and seeing the perfect opportunity to get stuck in and see how the things work! Much easier done, psychologically speaking, on an "older" set than a brand spanking new one. There'll be tools required. They'll cost money, too. Wonderfully satisfying, though, to be able to take things apart and put back together again. Better to understand the workings than buy a solution.

It was a huge surprise to me to learn that wheels aren't really wheels but a combination of rim, hub and spokes (and those spokes can be in a variety of different patterns). It took me ages to grasp the difference between a freewheel and a cassette and I'm still not sure of the terminology in different languages.

I toured very heavily on stock wheels, did my research then bought the expedition standard wheels for my needs. I ran the stock wheels except when I was off on an adventure.

If money is burning a hole in your pocket and you're anxious about an upcoming European tour my suggestion is to spend some of that money on an experience. Pack up your bikes, choose a nice route, cycle to a nice pub/B&B, have a pleasant night with your wife and cycle home a different way. What you'll learn will be worth more than changing out the wheelset you've described.

OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

I have two bikes. A 2012 Raleigh Royal and a Haibike Sduro 1.0 which is an ebike.

We will be taking the conventional bikes on the Rhine tour. My wife isn't in the best of health and we use the ebikes when she isn't doing too good.

My wife runs very lightly used Mavic 719 rims with 36 spoke Shimano XT hubs, so her bike easily copes with anything she throws at it. I am tempted to just buy some grease and service the Quandos and see what happens.

I am not new to touring, but have had a lengthy lay off. We have undertaken some pretty big tours years ago.

I am not the most confident of guys when it comes to home servicing and can tend to overthink things. Believe it or not, many years ago I bought a frame and built my own bike very successfully. So, I know I can do this stuff when I need to.

Can anyone recommend a good wheel bearing grease? 😁

Top Bottom