Touring Wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farmer Sue Tickles

Can anyone recommend a half decent wheel set that won't break the bank?

I have a 2012 Raleigh Royal in pretty good nick for £60 that I picked up last year. It is a great bike to ride and very comfortable. I really like it.

It currently has a wheel set on that runs true and appears ok. Quando hubs and stock rims. As it is a second hand bike I have no real way of knowing how many miles it has on it and I imagine the Quando hubs were on it when it was manufactured in 2012. I am going touring in Europe this year and would rather be safe that sorry as I know Quando are not the best.

Spa cycles are doing what seems a nice wheel set with Shimano hubs for £200, but I am open to all suggestions. 👍

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Stick with Spa. They make great wheelsets and are hard to beat for value and service.

Punkawallah

Über Member
You may be underestimating your wheels. My ‘83 Galaxy did 200 miles around the N. Yorks Park last year on the original Mavic rims & Weinmann hubs. Not a sniffle. Obviously I’d serviced them, but my point is that the technology is tried and tested.
If you have a set of sizes for your wheels, I can give you the details of my FLBS, and they have a loft full of (second hand) wheels that might suit.

Good morning,

Whenever I want something for my commuter bike I look at Spa and SJS Cycles as both are non race orientated and I have about 12,000 miles on these

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelsw...lite-rims-with-shimano-tiagra-hubs-in-silver/

1709375802821.png

No problems so far and I am about half way through what I expect as a lifespan.

At this price I would catagorise them as full RRP, but they are built with fairly heavy gauge spokes and if they last the full two years that I expect then they are still pretty cheap per mile.

I have a soft spot for Shimano Sora and Tiagra hubs as they are cheap but not too cheap, Shimano have been making the same basic design for yonks and don't cut corners in their manufacture and as they are cup and cone a quick grease one a year is a quick and simple task. I also have some 2400 series hubs and I am a lot less sure about these.

I have a pair of wheels with Sora hubs that have done about 30,000 miles and they still work fine but are clearly getting towards the end of their life, so they live on the pub bike.

Bye

Ian

Jameshow

Veteran
Good morning,

Whenever I want something for my commuter bike I look at Spa and SJS Cycles as both are non race orientated and I have about 12,000 miles on these

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelsw...lite-rims-with-shimano-tiagra-hubs-in-silver/

View attachment 723107

No problems so far and I am about half way through what I expect as a lifespan.

At this price I would catagorise them as full RRP, but they are built with fairly heavy gauge spokes and if they last the full two years that I expect then they are still pretty cheap per mile.

I have a soft spot for Shimano Sora and Tiagra hubs as they are cheap but not too cheap, Shimano have been making the same basic design for yonks and don't cut corners in their manufacture and as they are cup and cone a quick grease one a year is a quick and simple task. I also have some 2400 series hubs and I am a lot less sure about these.

I have a pair of wheels with Sora hubs that have done about 30,000 miles and they still work fine but are clearly getting towards the end of their life, so they live on the pub bike.

Bye

Ian

I have some tiagra wheels just they are laced to white rims...

OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

You may be underestimating your wheels. My ‘83 Galaxy did 200 miles around the N. Yorks Park last year on the original Mavic rims & Weinmann hubs. Not a sniffle. Obviously I’d serviced them, but my point is that the technology is tried and tested.
If you have a set of sizes for your wheels, I can give you the details of my FLBS, and they have a loft full of (second hand) wheels that might suit.

Hi, currently I am running 700 x 35 doublewall alloy rims. Thanks. 👍

OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

I should stick with those Quando hubs, after a service they'll be absolutely fine. If needs be go around the rims with a spoke key.

They are pretty smooth, but to be honest I had never heard of them. Dr Google suggests that they are Chinese and cheap though. I guess I could strip them down and have a look, but to be honest as the Nike cost me next to nothing and is so nice to ride I don't mind treating it. 😁

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hi, currently I am running 700 x 35 doublewall alloy rims. Thanks. 👍

So have these rims got an ETRTO size on them. I don't recognise 700x35: I think this may be what's on the tyres (not the same as rims). What is the 35? Outside rim width? What width tyres do you hope to roll on? That'd be be my only quibble with the rims @IanSmithCSE illustrated: the Mavic rims are 622-15 (15mm internal width) - not for mounting a 35mm wide tyre on (I have a wheel set with these rims).
@bigjim had one of these. Maybe @savannah3107 too.

OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

So have these rims got an ETRTO size on them. I don't recognise 700x35: I think this may be what's on the tyres (not the same as rims). What is the 35? Outside rim width? What width tyres do you hope to roll on? That'd be be my only quibble with the rims @IanSmithCSE illustrated: the Mavic rims are 622-15 (15mm internal width) - not for mounting a 35mm wide tyre on (I have a wheel set with these rims).
@bigjim had one of these. Maybe @savannah3107 too.

There is nothing on the rim. Just plain black alloy rim. The tyre size is 700 x 35.

Attachments

• IMG20240302152515.jpg
    IMG20240302152515.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom