Wish me luck, my first multi day touring holiday is about to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Parking the car near to Portsmouth and riding the last few miles to the docks, then departing at 9pm Sunday evening and arriving at Bilbao on 8am Tuesday morning.

Then the fun begins I guess, onto Areatza, then Beasain, then Estella then Pomplona. Rest day but options to do a few cols if the weather is right.
From Pamplona to St JeanPDP, then Auritz, then Azkoitia, then Lekeitio and finally back to Bilbao to catch the boat back to Portsmouth on the 15th September.

Stopping in hotels so only the bare essentials needed really, that said, still enough to pack out a couple of panniers. Total all up weight of the loaded bike has come in at 21.78 kgs or 47.35lb in proper money.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Good luck, Alan! We're currently enjoying 5 weeks in Italy. Few things in life are better than a good tour. Enjoy!

Parking the car near to Portsmouth and riding the last few miles to the docks, then departing at 9pm Sunday evening and arriving at Bilbao on 8am Tuesday morning.

Then the fun begins I guess, onto Areatza, then Beasain, then Estella then Pomplona. Rest day but options to do a few cols if the weather is right.
From Pamplona to St JeanPDP, then Auritz, then Azkoitia, then Lekeitio and finally back to Bilbao to catch the boat back to Portsmouth on the 15th September.

Stopping in hotels so only the bare essentials needed really, that said, still enough to pack out a couple of panniers. Total all weight of the loaded bike has come in at 21.78 kgs or 47.35lb in proper money.

Wish me luck!

Sounds like the perfect holiday, good luck with no punctures.

Gunk

Guru

Stopping in hotels so only the bare essentials needed really, that said, still enough to pack out a couple of panniers. Total all up weight of the loaded bike has come in at 21.78 kgs or 47.35lb in proper money.

Wish me luck!

You’ll have the time of your life, I did a week in Normandy nearly 40 years ago with my brother and we still talk about it now

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I've done lots of one, two and three-day YHA trips but all in the UK. I have also ridden in Spain before but always based in one place and on a hire bike.

This is a whole new venture for me, and to be fair I've driven my wife up the wall over the last month or so, changing this, altering that. Only a couple of weeks ago and after I saw the route profile for the various days, I decided that I needed much lower gearing that my current 50/34 and 11/30 cassette :laugh:

Then the fun started, researching sub compact chain sets, only to then discover that I then needed a front mech extender. Ended up with 30/46 and a 11/34 cassette. I've since done a few test rides fully loaded on the local hills and I think I've pretty much nailed it now, if not it will be a case of walking.

Then I decided I needed to be sat more upright, so I fitted a 17 degree stem but then discovered that the dam cables were not really long enough, my how we laughed..... :rolleyes:

Jameshow

Veteran
Sounds perfect hope its warm but not too warm.

Are you going west - east as I presume that's the prevailing winds.

Double check carrier bolts DAMHIK!

Perhaps a spare tyre? Or at least a bit of rubber / cut off of tyre and some gorilla tape?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Sounds perfect hope its warm but not too warm.

Are you going west - east as I presume that's the prevailing winds.

Double check carrier bolts DAMHIK!

Perhaps a spare tyre? Or at least a bit of rubber / cut off of tyre and some gorilla tape?

We are actually going east to west in a roundabout sort of way.

I've done quite a few test rides fully loaded over the last week and treble checked everything afterwards, all looking good.

Yep, spare tyre, spokes, rim tape, tubes plus a small assortment of nuts and bolts, and of course some Duct tape 😉

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
All good to go

20230822_173250.jpg

Good morning

Have fun on the tour.^_^

I struggle to put water bottles back in the best of circumstances and have this image of dropping the bottle on the DT and watching it roll down the mountain, do I chase it and have to do the hill again or look for a stream?:laugh:

Or is it easy with practice/you stop for a drink?

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Good morning

Have fun on the tour.^_^

I struggle to put water bottles back in the best of circumstances and have this image of dropping the bottle on the DT and watching it roll down the mountain, do I chase it and have to do the hill again or look for a stream?:laugh:

Or is it easy with practice/you stop for a drink?

Bye

Ian

I guess its practice really, and having the frame bag certainly doesn't help at all. In fact l was out with a group the other week and managed to drop my bottle. Of course they didn't wait as l had turn around and go back and get it. On the plus side, it was great interval session trying to catch them back up again. lol

Wish me luck!
Best of luck!
It's a fabulous part of the world, wonderful food, great roads, excellent traffic, wonderful food lots and lots to see and did I mention the wonderful food? ^_^
There can be some pretty impressive storms so keep your eye on the weather forecast! And don't forget the Siesta hours, especially in the smaller towns where you may struggle to find a place open between say 2 and 5/6.

Total all up weight of the loaded bike has come in at 21.78 kgs
I am highly amused by the ".78"
Not 21.
Not 22.
21.78^_^

All good to go
*In Crocodile Dundee voice*
You call those panniers?
^_^

Have a great time!
(Hint, hint : https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/member-travelogues.46/)

Top Bottom