My first (very gentle) off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
So silly really. On a ride with 2 friends, I was warning them about a very nasty section of the lane we were on. Big potholes each side.

As I was pointing them out I failed to notice the huge ridge of frozen mud running down the road. My front wheel went to the left side of it, and I went right!

I went straight over onto the raised verge. I also wasn't going very fast, maybe 10mph. Nothing damaged on me or the bike, so all good. Just felt like a bit of a donut!

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Lets hope its first and last. Glad y're OK though.

Glad you're ok and there's no damage to the bike...I came off recently going at a fair speed and couldn't find any damage on the bike...I was amazed (although me and the bike did fall into a very deep muddy ditch so there was something to break the fall!)

Glad the bike is ok...and you, of course.

Just shows how easy it is to lose concentration/concentrate on something else and the next thing you know you're on the ground; these things happen in a split second! At least your first off happened at low speeds; lessen learned without any real damage done!

My first fall was very similar; speaking to a friend about the route and just catching the muddy verge and toppling over.

C

Manonabike

Über Member
Glad you are ok. I had a similar experience with an icy patch on the way to Swanage a few years ago. I was going uphill so I was probably doing about 1.5mph ^_^

Licramite

Über Member
thats always the way , warning everyone else you walk straight into it. - my mates usually stand around laughing and asking if I meant that bit.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My latest was at the end of May. I rode across the join between a section of sand and a section of concrete at too acute an angle, and the bike just slid out from under me, I fell heavily, then the bike landed on top of me, and I ended up with facial cuts and bruises, deep cuts on both hands and arms, and a massive bruise on my left hip. About 2 months later, when the bruise had finally gone, I noticed I now have a permanent bump on my left hip :huh:. It doesn't hurt, but it looks a bit odd.

Can't complain, though, because I've never had a collision with another vehicle: all my stacks have been just myself and the bicycle, and I haven't had a large number of them, typically one every few years or so. So just count yourself lucky, MattHB, that yours was a single-vehicle incident, they're generally not too bad :smile:.

Cocheese

Glad you didny damage yourself or your bike. Let’s hope the recent weather is a taste of things to come.

I was cycling last weekend through Corfe. I was coming down the hill on the opposite side of corfe and realised that I was going a little too fast for the next corner. I put the brakes on but as it was raining they were not as effective as I had hoped , essentially I started to broadside around the bend then the tyres gripped again but as I was sideways the bike flipped me over hitting the road shoulder first. An ambulance was called and appeared in 10 mines which I cannot thank them enough for as the pain was pretty unbearable. After x rays and a cat scan I was told that I dislocated my shoulder but also broke my humerous just below the ball socket.
Had my op last Monday, the surgeon said it was a complicated fracture and fix but it went as good as they hoped. In 4 weeks i have a further scan to see if the pinned bones are knitting well as there is a chance that they could die through lack of blood flow. In that event I would need to have a further op and undergo bone grafts. I am hoping to be fit again for late summer early autumn and am looking for a decent national/international ride for me to focus on and get me through. If anyone has any recommendations for ride that would be great.

Many thanks. Stay safe

OP
OP
MattHB

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Glad you didny damage yourself or your bike. Let’s hope the recent weather is a taste of things to come.

I was cycling last weekend through Corfe. I was coming down the hill on the opposite side of corfe and realised that I was going a little too fast for the next corner. I put the brakes on but as it was raining they were not as effective as I had hoped , essentially I started to broadside around the bend then the tyres gripped again but as I was sideways the bike flipped me over hitting the road shoulder first. An ambulance was called and appeared in 10 mines which I cannot thank them enough for as the pain was pretty unbearable. After x rays and a cat scan I was told that I dislocated my shoulder but also broke my humerous just below the ball socket.
Had my op last Monday, the surgeon said it was a complicated fracture and fix but it went as good as they hoped. In 4 weeks i have a further scan to see if the pinned bones are knitting well as there is a chance that they could die through lack of blood flow. In that event I would need to have a further op and undergo bone grafts. I am hoping to be fit again for late summer early autumn and am looking for a decent national/international ride gosh for me to focus on and get me through. If anyone has any recommendations for ride that would be great.

Many thanks. Stay safe

Gosh I actually heard about your crash from some of the others! We rode that decent a few days after. Hope you make a speedy recovery!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My latest was at the end of May. I rode across the join between a section of sand and a section of concrete at too acute an angle, and the bike just slid out from under me, I fell heavily, then the bike landed on top of me, and I ended up with facial cuts and bruises, deep cuts on both hands and arms, and a massive bruise on my left hip. About 2 months later, when the bruise had finally gone, I noticed I now have a permanent bump on my left hip :huh:. It doesn't hurt, but it looks a bit odd.

Can't complain, though, because I've never had a collision with another vehicle: all my stacks have been just myself and the bicycle, and I haven't had a large number of them, typically one every few years or so. So just count yourself lucky, MattHB, that yours was a single-vehicle incident, they're generally not too bad :smile:.

That sounds horrendous. Hope you heal quickly.

I have a strange phobia about broken bones and feel faint and nauseous just thinking about an accident like yours. Please God, any accidents I have just make them scrapes and bruises!

......and Matt, glad yours wasn't too serious :smile:

Thought I was going to have an off last night which potentially could have been a fast one :ohmy: had a bit of a slide on approach to a rbt recovered it only to have a slide on the rbt its self thankfully recovered that too; then came the timely warning shout of 'petrol' probably diesel actually :rolleyes:

Top Bottom