My first week commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolf04

hackbike 6 said:
Do any of you use a mirror?

I've always not been keen to use one as seeing something screaming up behind me might distract me a bit although im not against them.

Yes I use a Reevu helmet. I think they have gone out of production now, but they have a periscope type arrangement of mirrors built into the helmet. They still do Motorcycle helmets.
http://www.reevu.com/

hackbike 6

How many years?You must be used to using it by now.

Wolf04

I bought it from Changing Gears in 2005 so yes very use to it. The mirror you look in is built into the permanant visor so you only have to change focus slightly to check whats going on behind. It has given me plenty of notice of potential close overtakes etc. It does however freak drivers out when they have politely waited for me to clear a pinch point for example (yes it does happen) and I wave thanks before they get anywhere near me :biggrin:. Also I find myself subconsiously checking it even when I'm not wearing it :evil:. It is the only reason I wear a helmet (no don't start) so when it wears out I'm helmet free.

hackbike 6

I wear a helmet as well because I like wearing a helmet...bit self conscious of the fact that I am going bald..Perhaps I will try a mirror sometime.Could be worth a trial.Nice to know when a lorry or bus is storming up on you instead of having to rely on your wits and sixth sense stuff all the time.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't wear anything in my ears as I like being able to listen to different engine tones... gives you clues about whether they are getting impatient, slowing down, speeding up etc. I have contemplated a device to play music with speakers but not tried that yet.

gkilner

I use a mirror - a blackburn - drop bar type. I wouldn't be without it, I feel a lot more relaxed knowing what is behind me at all times. I still obviously check over my shoulder before any manoeuvre.

Funny thing is, you do get used it, when walking to the local shop, I regularly glance down to my right to see what is happening behind me!! Makes me feel very silly.

Top Bottom