My first week commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Ah oh well, wasn't too far wrong. Thanks, I'll try that tip on the route. :biggrin:

Orginally a workmate suggested taking the Cassiobury Park ratrun along the side of Ricky and past the tube station to get into town. But once on Ricky road and moving at a fair pace, seemed a shame to pull off just to get out the traffic.

jely

i always use my ipod - although i only put one ear in and have the music relatively low... couldn't bear not listening to some sort of music.

Wolf04

Twenty Inch said:
Worried that your first two points are about your iPod. I rely on my hearing as well as on frequent checks over my shoulder to tell me what's going on in the traffic around me.

Each to their own of course, but I wouldn't wear an iPod commuting.

Yep agree also

domtyler

Über Member
Do any of you guys have a link to any statistics that show that listening to music while cycling is more likely to lead to a collision or indeed that it reduces the cyclists ability to concentrate or interact with other traffic etc.?

Wolf04

domtyler said:
Do any of you guys have a link to any statistics that show that listening to music while cycling is more likely to lead to a collision or indeed that it reduces the cyclists ability to concentrate or interact with other traffic etc.?

Not me, purely opinion. I'm a music fan but don't believe that earphones lend themselves to background music. Therefore if you have 100% concentration without music that figure must reduce when you listen to music. It may well be that you still have enough concentration to cycle safely but I'd rather tilt the scales in favour of safety. Probably something to do with risk perception/compensation

OP
OP
P

porridge

All very well saying its unsafe to listen to music and ride abike, however, how many car drivers listen to music while they drive?, how many have their music so loud they couldn't possibly hear other road noise (sirens etc).

I also can't see what possible advantage it is to hear a thumping great lorry behind you, if its going to knock you off, then it will, whether you heard it or not. I actually think I drive a car very well , good lane discipline, mirror, signal manouvere etc., I manage to do this as I drive, so why should I be any less aware of how to ride a bike if I have some background music whilst I cycle?, I still keep the same lane discipline !, I still look over my shoulder before monouvering to turn right, believe me, I am too aware of the dangers of cycling and therefore my concentration level is far higher than when I ride a bike.

I also have to say, that a little quiet background music also has the benefit of quietning some traffic noise that may startle some bike users, the extremly loud rumble of a lorry coming up behind you or car/lorry horn being blasted can be quite scary.

jely

porridge said:
All very well saying its unsafe to listen to music and ride abike, however, how many car drivers listen to music while they drive?, how many have their music so loud they couldn't possibly hear other road noise (sirens etc).

I also can't see what possible advantage it is to hear a thumping great lorry behind you, if its going to knock you off, then it will, whether you heard it or not. I actually think I drive a car very well , good lane discipline, mirror, signal manouvere etc., I manage to do this as I drive, so why should I be any less aware of how to ride a bike if I have some background music whilst I cycle?, I still keep the same lane discipline !, I still look over my shoulder before monouvering to turn right, believe me, I am too aware of the dangers of cycling and therefore my concentration level is far higher than when I ride a bike.

I also have to say, that a little quiet background music also has the benefit of quietning some traffic noise that may startle some bike users, the extremly loud rumble of a lorry coming up behind you or car/lorry horn being blasted can be quite scary.

definitely agree! :evil:

OP
OP
P

porridge

Anyway, its been an enjoyable week, hopefully the start of many more to come, just hope the autumn/winter doesn't arrive and I think "what the hell, i'll take the car its too cold"

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
porridge said:

In a car you are surrounded by a metal cage, on a bike every other tosser is out to get you.

hackbike 6

Just be wary of lorries (and big vehicles and all vehicles) and have your wits about you if you do use a player I wouldn't want to be responsible for anything because I have said I have used music players since the mid 80's.Concentration is so much more important and reading what the next moton is going to do.It's like a chess game out there but slightly faster.

I also can't see what possible advantage it is to hear a thumping great lorry behind you, if its going to knock you off, then it will, whether you heard it or not.

I try not to go out there with that attitude.

Wolf04

hackbike 6 said:
Just be wary of lorries (and bit vehicles and all vehicles) and have your wits about you if you do use a player I wouldn't want to be responsible for anything because I have said I have used music players since the mid 80's.Concentration is so much more important and reading what the next moton is going to do.It's like a chess game out there but slightly faster.

I also can't see what possible advantage it is to hear a thumping great lorry behind you, if its going to knock you off, then it will, whether you heard it or not.

I try not to go out there with that attitude.

Agree, the idea is to hear the lorry and not be knocked off.

Jaded

Personally I don't like using an iPod or phone when riding.

However I wouldn't stop deaf people from riding a bike.

I wouldn't use an ipod myself, I like to keep an ear out for traffic but each to our own. I seen an interesing program the other month however, where some inventor had come up with headphones specially designed for cycling. They were supposed to keep wind noise out, etc out but let the cruicial sounds in.

Top Bottom