My gear shifter snapped...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Legendary Member
..Admittedly after 15 years of flawless operation!

I have an old MTB which I use as a commuter and general travel cycle. I have old Shimano LX shifters (7-speed rear), the rear shifter completely snapped the other day. The shifters are bolted under the LX brake levers (old Canti levers)

I went to my local cycle shop, and they recommended removing the old shifters and replacing with Shimano Alivio shifters, with the LX brake levers remaining.

I have a few issues

1) I was quoted £75 to do this - £50 for the shifters, which I know I can get online for £35 or so. I don't mind paying more for the convenience of a LBS, but it appears that £50 is £5 over the RRP even.

2) If I am going to pay this type of money, is there a solution with shifters, and V-brake system, and would it be worth doing this.

3) The LBS reckoned that the old LX brakes (from around 1992) wouldn't fit with any shifters sold today (the old shifters bolt under the levers, I naively thought that the new ones could fix the same way), and want to hack the levers so the new shifters fit. Sounds OK, but at the price, I don't want a botch.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for shifters - I am not worried about weight, but would like something solid that lasts.

Lastly, I like my LBS, but it seems a bit pricey. Anyone have any experience of any cycle shops in East (Waltham forest, Hackney) or North (Tottenham, Haringey, Seven Sisters) London?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You would get away with 8 speed shifters - I have the same 7speed LX sti's on my mtb and run it with 8 speed spacers, rather than 7.

You could change them yourself - the LX is integrated, so you would need new levers too - thats when you can go for v brakes..... new 8s sgufters, new levers, and new v's...

Th LX cantis are compatible with any canti lever, including new stuff. I've upgraded to XT cantis.

Tynan

Veteran
who/where is the current LBS? There's still a fair few around but they do all seem to charge much the same in my experience

OP
OP
stowie

stowie

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
who/where is the current LBS? There's still a fair few around but they do all seem to charge much the same in my experience

Cycle shop in Leyton (Cycle Shack). They have been excellent with other repairs and I would generally use them in preference. The O/P was a little unfair, as I have now researched it a bit better on the web, and what they were suggesting seems to be the best solution.

I have very old LX integrated shifters and brake levers from around 1993 - I assumed that I could replace the shifter pod with a newer version, but it would seem not. Plus the fact that I have cantilever brakes, and so the V-brake levers on normal STI product will be useless on these, so I somehow have to either keep the existing levers or find some canti levers, or upgrade to V-brakes.

The LBS suggested using Shimano Alivio shifters (not integrated), removing the existing shifters and hacksawing the pod holder so that the new shifter fit correctly with the existing canti brake levers. Without upgrading everything (shifters, levers, brakes), I think this is the best option.

I should upgrade everything really, and will seriously consider it, but I have an old bike (1991 Orange clockwork - no suspension) and I wonder if the cost of upgrading everything that will fail in the next couple of years is going to be more than just getting a newer bike.

I have been really impressed with this shop previously, I think the cost of repairing the cycle this time around came as a surprise, and I didn't realise the problems with old integrated kit.

I had a similar problem with my 1994 Cannondale last year (but the front shifter not the rear). A very similar fix was carried out and it looks and functions perfectly well.

Top Bottom