My good deed for the day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
As I was stopped in traffic at the Wood Lane road works (NW London), I saw a lady on a Ridgeback struggling with her chain.

I decided to give her a hand. When I got there here hands were black from all the crud all over her chain. I whipped out my latex gloves and got stuck in :smile:

Her chain had got stuck between the cassette and the spokes, so she was lucky she didn't come flying off.

After wrestling the chain back onto the cassette, I tried to work out what had caused it. My novice conclusion was that her chain was far too loose, as the rear cage was not taking up any slack.

I checked she would be able to change gears, but warned her not to shift back into first so it wouldn't happen again. I also advised her to get it looked at and have the chain shortened and the gears indexed.

She went on her way to work at the hospital, and probably spend the rest of the day washing oil off her hands.

:angry:

One thing I did notice on her bike, was that the gear cables were crossed over under the downtube. Is this common or a badly set-up bike?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Badly set up I'd say. Well done

i've had two mountain bikes that cross over under the downtube or on a little plastic thingy under the bb like on the trek i'm building for millie

its normal on many bikes - provided they don't rub

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
These cables were rubbing, and thinking about it, it must have been a really shoddy job.

The gear housing crossed over at the front then went into the frame bosses. Then they crossed over again half way along the down tube.

thomas

the tank engine
My good deeds on the bike usually include asking if people need a hand when they've got a puncture, in the hope they say they're alright so I don't have to stop and embarrass myself :rolleyes:...at least if they need a pump or something I can offer that ;)

It's not particularly bad practice but I can't stand the look of crossed cables. Kona seem to do it a lot. I always run the cables on the side they originate, this allows shorter cable runs and ensures that the cable outers can have no detrimental effect on the steering.

Her mech was out of adjustment from a knock I reckon. Lots of new bikes have exceedingly soft replaceable mech hangers which will bend towards the wheel at the slightest provocation.

Maz

Guru
redjedi said:
As I was stopped in traffic at the Wood Lane road works (NW London), I saw a lady on a Ridgeback struggling with her chain...
This thread is useless without links.

Coat. Get. I. Will.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Maz said:
This thread is useless without links.

Coat. Get. I. Will.

you really should be ashamed of that one Maz

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My Specialized Globe has this

redjedi said:
One thing I did notice on her bike, was that the gear cables were crossed over under the downtube. Is this common or a badly set-up bike?

Lurker

On a practical note - and speaking from personal experience - if you don't have Swarfega or similar at work, a mix of sugar and washing up liquid makes a good, mildly abrasive, cleaning agent for oily hands.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The cables on my FCR cross, it's how Tom set it up for me so it won't change now. I can't remember if he said there was a benefit, I think he said he was trying it out as a tactic. Can't ask him now:sad:

Anyway, they work fine.

Mind you, he also sneaked the rude pony sticker on to the bottom of the downtube without telling me, and I never noticed until the day my bike was handed down to me from the back of a van, some weeks later.:ohmy: (the pony in question appears to have 5 legs...)

Top Bottom