My Knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
So, end of April my knee "goes", quite painfully too and i've finally got around to seeing a physio about it, (this morning) and the diagnose is "Patella Tendonitis". Which, after it being explained to me, I feel alot better about. I've been given the exercises to do and I have a re-appointed next Monday.

Anyone else had Patella Tendonitis and whats your experiences with it?

Don't know whether it's the same but i've a painful knee. Whilst on the bike the it is the front of the knee-cap that hurts, towards the inside of the knee. When i'm off the bike it feels like its the bottom of my quad.

I (stupidly) managed to ride about 60 miles of the Northern Rock Cyclone on the problem, with it subsiding a bit when I managed to keep the legs going. When I stopped pedalling, ie sweeping decents, the pain to restart was incredable.

I'm riding a Defy 3 with the factory gears on it (50/39/30 on the front and a 12-25 nine speed)

I've been used to pushing over larger gears in my youth, last year doing the Cyclone on proper racing gears, though the pain has only just started.

Did the physio say anything about cycling shoes? Or changing anything with your riding style?

Cheers
O

OP
OP
Davywalnuts

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Interestingly it sounds similar. Is the corresponding leg tighter in the hamstring and calf?

If you google "patella tendonitis" and read the gumph about it it does sound similar, but seriously, go get it checked and or referred to a physio. I was blind without knowing what I can or couldnt or what not.

The phsyio advised no racing or hard strain on it, but in reading more about the condition, ive changed my cycling style to a high cadience for the past few days, and will continue to too, and I am noticing an effect. Am trying to range about 90-105 rpm and were its just easier to spin than grind with out it being jolty. Ive tended more to grind a big gear in the past, and, the resulting strain happened.

I had advised her I have swapped over to trainers and straps so theres a more cushioning effect than the hard road shoes, but, am wondering if this is any good or not as with the road shoes I at least have a float.. My exercises given indicated working the area and trying to walk/cycle normally, but I had allready changed my style so there was less pressure when starting off. She didnt mention much, but am sure come monday, (next apt) ill cover that in more details.

But yes, get it checked out.

David

oakroyd said:
Don't know whether it's the same but i've a painful knee. Whilst on the bike the it is the front of the knee-cap that hurts, towards the inside of the knee. When i'm off the bike it feels like its the bottom of my quad.
I'm no physio so seek proper advice! but it sounds more like Iliotibial band sydrome. The Band becomes tight and pulls your patella out of alignment making the front of your kneecap rub, rather running smooth agony on the bike but the band attaches to the rear of the leg so you feel the pain in the lower quad off the bike.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Davy mate- sorry to hear about this- hope it gets mended over time and in the meantime take it easy. Glad to hear you're still cycling and that you haven't been advised to not.

There is only pain in the right knee, with absolutely no pain in the left. And there is no problems in the back of the knee.

After the Cylclone i looked at my cleats and noticed that the right was in a noticeably different position, so I changed tht pretty sharpish. I've been out for a couple of slowish short rides and experienced some pain, but don't know whether its just a 'hangover' from Saturday or 'new' pain.

ventoux50

The Band becomes tight and pulls your patella out of alignment making the front of your kneecap rub, rather running smooth agony on the bike but the band attaches to the rear of the leg so you feel the pain in the lower quad off the bike.[/QUOTE]

Actually it doesn't - The ITB runs from a muscle called the tensor fascia lata near the pelvis, downn the lateral (outside) of the leg and crosses the outside of the knee joint to insert on the bony part of the lower leg (fibula)

The ITB is concerned with maintaining stability of the joint through its range of motion, and if it becomes tight (through excessive use/injury/poor biomechanics etc) then it can affect patellar tracking, however - the pain you feel due to tight ITB generally manifests on the outside of the knee joint and/or just below the joint line.

Tight ITB does not refer or cause pain in the lower quads.

The pain location described does indicate patellar tendinopathy and perhaps a weakness in the VMO (vastus medialis obliquus)
The VMO is the obvious 'bump' of muscle on the inside of the lower quads (very obvious in Cavendish and Hushovd's legs)

Long term mis alignment (possibly due to misaligned cleats) can lead to atrophy of the VMO and consequent muscle imbalance - this in turn leads to an imbalance of the forces which keep the pattella 'tracking' properly and can lead to the pain described........

Sorry for the long essay but I hope this information might shed some light on the problem for you.
I would suggest your physio is most probably correct in her diagnosis - on your next visit ask her about VMO insufficiency, ITB stretching and get her to measure your actual leg length to rule out any discrepancy there.

Finally, and possibly most importantly get a proper bike fit done, and make sure your cleats are properly aligned - theres no point treatikng the symptoms if the root of the cause isn't adressed - the problem will just recur !

Cheers Ventoux, after quite a bit of internet searching and research I realised it was probably not the ITB, and most probably tendonitis.

I found some site that talked about cleat alignment and it's effects on the knee, so have adjusted the cleat on the right shoe. I've not been out for a proper ride since so don't know what effect it will have on the pain.

ventoux50 said:
The Band becomes tight and pulls your patella out of alignment making the front of your kneecap rub, rather running smooth agony on the bike but the band attaches to the rear of the leg so you feel the pain in the lower quad off the bike.

Actually it doesn't - The ITB runs from a muscle called the tensor fascia lata near the pelvis, downn the lateral (outside) of the leg and crosses the outside of the knee joint to insert on the bony part of the lower leg (fibula)

[/QUOTE]
As I said, I'm no physio; cheers for explaining it better than I could ;)

AlexRoberts

Not sure if this is still active but..

Ive just been through most of the above. LMO exercises may help but ask your physio, if you have inside right knee pain, to check out if it is a plica

After 12 months if treatment that was my issue, exercises, diclofenia and ice..

Please take your own advice though

Top Bottom