My LEJOG - in 13 days :-s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HorTs

HorTs

Über Member
Thanks RM, starting to feel a little scared at the moment.

db7db7

Congrats - great effort. I'm off next Friday and had a couple of q's you might be able to help me with:
a) how did you find the a49 north of Whitchurch? Safe? Busy? etc.
b) how about the a9? we're only on it before inverness and are hoping to use any cycle routes there if possible.
c) how was it camping and then getting up and cycling? did you pre-book sites or play it by ear or even tent in the rough?
Once again, congrats on a great job and I hope I'm able to look back on it as a success!
Cheers,
D

OP
OP
HorTs

HorTs

Über Member
Hi db7db7,

a+b) The only road I felt uncomfortable on was the A9 at 2 points - 1, coming out of Perth at rush hours AM (proximity and amount of traffic). 2, going past Inverness, approaching the Kessock bridge (speed of traffic).

I wouldn't necessarily avoid those areas but something to be mindful of. For the A9 at Inverness there is a NCN route - but it isn't very direct.

c) camping was ok, I took a thin mat and thin bag which wasn't entirely condusive to a good night sleep but it didn't seem to effect me. Some sites I prebooked, some I just played by ear and occasionally I just camped in a field.

db7db7

Hi HorTs,
Thanks for the reply - invaluable advice and puts my mind at rest a bit. We too will probably end up camping in a field some nights!
Thanks again,
D

jack smith

Veteran
56744 metres climbing the first day is that correct or a false reading?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
WOW...I have read dozens of LEJOG write ups as we are thinking of doing it next year. But I only got to day 8 of this write up and had to stop reading.

You make it sound like purgatory. Well done on doing it. But why you even bothered is a mystery. What a miserable time you had.

OP
OP
HorTs

HorTs

Über Member
WOW...I have read dozens of LEJOG write ups as we are thinking of doing it next year. But I only got to day 8 of this write up and had to stop reading.

You make it sound like purgatory. Well done on doing it. But why you even bothered is a mystery. What a miserable time you had.

It's just my sense of humour I guess (or lack of it some might say), it's mainly tongue in cheek. Though I admit the retrospective pleasure is often much greater than pleasure of riding for me.

It probably doesn't help the accounts of each day were written for my friends and family who have the misfortune of knowing/understanding me.

It's probably best if everyone just looks at the photos :-).

Top Bottom