My little friend is numb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason.T

Done my first 110 mile sportive yesterday in the most horrendous wind and rain I've ever riden in

At about 48 miles in I went for a pee I noticed my little friend was completely numb I couldn't feel a thing

It starting to come back to life today but I've never had it before but yesterday was the longest I've ever spent in the saddle

Do you think that tilting the saddle down slightly will help and prevent it happening again, don't really want it to go numb again, not a nice sensation

BrynCP

Über Member
This happened to me when I first started riding, but at far fewer miles. Although it sounds odd, tilting down did nothing but make me slide down, tilting up sorted it! However, it was all down to incorrect clothing, and now I ride level again. Furthest I have ever done is 57 miles: without problem.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Consider the front to back positioning of the saddle & the distance and height of your bars. Penile numbness is often caused by too much pressure on the perineum and not being properly positioned on the sit bones and more fleshy parts of your backside, It is as much to do with body tilt as anything else.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need to find a saddle that your sit bones sit on, not your squishy bits. More tricky than it sounds though.

What saddle do you have now ?

The less is more with padding on a saddle

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

You need to find a saddle that your sit bones sit on, not your squishy bits. More tricky than it sounds though.

What saddle do you have now ?

The less is more with padding on a saddle
I did have the boardman saddle but found it uncomfortable so I changed it for the fizik ardea a few weeks back

Since changing to the fizik I've done a few short rides a 40 miler and a 44 miler with no problem at all with numbness apart from a little some discomfort

Before the 100 miler yesterday I decided to check how level my saddle was but didn't take note of which way it was tilting, whichever way it was tilting was only slight and looked level to the eye, but stuck a level on it to get it bang on which hasn't agreed with down below

I tend to end up sitting with my sit bones over either side of the saddle ( also did this on the previous saddle) I've tried sitting with my sit bones on the saddle but it just doesn't feel right

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Also forgot to add that I raised my saddle height by about 1/2 inch, would that make a difference?

I just felt it could go a little higher I've got no rocking of the hips so I don't think it's to high

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Half an inch is too much in one go.

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

I think I've May have found the problem

After some googling this May sound stupid but I'm sitting completely wrong on the saddle

On the pic below my sit bones are further forward then the green area, I'm not sitting on my sit bones at all

I think the reason is my saddle height is to high, as my seat post angles back slightly the higher the saddle hight the further back the saddle itself is from the bars

Therefore to sit with my knee inline with pedal axle etc as per web and YouTube bike positioning I am bringing myself forward on the saddle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 48
^ As you've said, it sounds more setup related. Knee over pedal spindle isn't universally accepted, other methods of setup exist too. Google the Myth of KOPS as well.

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

^ As you've said, it sounds more setup related. Knee over pedal spindle isn't universally accepted, other methods of setup exist too. Google the Myth of KOPS as well.
I've just set the bike up sitting on the saddle as I should be and the saddle height is quite a lot lower

Cheers will take a look at that

L14M

Über Member
I feel bad at laughing at this thread.

Hope your chopper gets working again and you prevent it from happening again. :laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom