My lovely panniers are wearing out :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I love my rear panniers & use them a lot. Although badge Edinburgh Bike they are made by Vaude. They're 13 years old and have had a lot of abuse so it's not surprising that they're starting to wear through into holes at the bottom.

I'd happily buy new Vaude ones, especially as they use recycled materials in their manufacture. BUT I use the externalpockets a lot. And all the new designs have minimal external pockets :-(

So if I'm forced to buy something like this or this what could I do to still have easy access to the things I currently put in the pockets? I can't use a rack top bag as I want the panniers to be quick release. I don't have space on the seat post for a bag & there's no space on the handlebars either.

Things I use the external pockets for include:
  • Stowing the lights when I park up & take them off the handlebars
  • Purse, keys & glasses
  • Plastic bags for shopping/picking blackberries en route
  • Repair kit - don't want that to be at the bottom under a pile of shopping
  • A water bottle as there's no space on the frame for a bottle holder
  • The water bottle packets are also handy for things like bunches of flowers that I don't want crushed with other shopping
  • Stowing litter I pick up en route
Sigh! I just want to buy something identical to the lovely ones that I've worn out.

For the time being I'm patching & repairing the ones I have.

alicat

Legendary Member
Ortlieb do some outer pockets to fit on their panniers. Not cheap, but perhaps there is a smaller size and maybe just one pocket would do.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The Ortlieb Back Roller Pro Plus has a huge mesh pocket on the outer side, it's the size of the pannier pretty much. I've pictured it in green so you can see it easier, the pocket is the U shaped part in black with the light green centre panel and it fastens with a big bayonet clip at the top.
The lower image is on my bike, there is a big D lock, book and keys in the pouch with plenty more space left.

Screenshot_20210205-130840_Google.jpg

20210205_130431.jpg

The Ortlieb Back Roller Pro Plus has a huge mesh pocket on the outer side, it's the size of the pannier pretty much. I've pictured it in green so you can see it easier, the pocket is the U shaped part in black with the light green centre panel and it fastens with a big bayonet clip at the top.
The lower image is on my bike, there is a big D lock, book and keys in the pouch with plenty more space left.

View attachment 572214

View attachment 572215
apologies if have asked before.
Have you used these on tour?
I have a pair but not used yet.
They are definitely damn big - I also have bikepacker pluses but find those somewhat on the small size for my kitchen sink touring.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The pockets on the Vaude Aquaback Plus are not small. They roll up or down as required.

You could add a base to the outside of your EBC using some linoleum or vinyl. Use Contact Adhesive, it's what cobblers use to repair shoes and can be bought from Screwfix or local hardware store.

If applied properly, it'll be as strong as, if not stronger, than new and you need not buy new panniers.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
apologies if have asked before.
Have you used these on tour?
I have a pair but not used yet.
They are definitely damn big - I also have bikepacker pluses but find those somewhat on the small size for my kitchen sink touring.
No, only a couple of overnight trips last year where they were erm, underutilised, (probably a third full) and they've been used for shopping. They're super for that! ^_^
As you say, they're huge and you can get an awful lot in.
They were bought with a long tour in mind but that's still to come, Covid allowing, in early summer.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Carridice by far and away your best buy.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The pockets on the Vaude Aquaback Plus are not small. They roll up or down as required.

You could add a base to the outside of your EBC using some linoleum or vinyl. Use Contact Adhesive, it's what cobblers use to repair shoes and can be bought from Screwfix or local hardware store.

If applied properly, it'll be as strong as, if not stronger, than new and you need not buy new panniers.
So far I've taped them up with Gorilla-type tape. And I'm making inner liners from some spare fabric. Just waiting for a break in the rain to venture out to the garage for a pannier to check the fabric's cut to the right size.

I'd like to delay buying for a few months at least. I suspect life is going to be very different post-pandemic. I may never go back to a commute & might use panniers in a different way.

Top Bottom