My Mango Sport just arrived - Down Under

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
riggsbie

riggsbie

Coffee and Recumbent Trikes.......
Yes..... Even with an inexperienced Velonaut (400km's so far) it's fast......

With more confidence and time in the Mango it will definitely be eating up my DFs !

In 2 weeks time, there is the annual Round the Bay ride - 250km - starts in Melbourne and basically does a lap of the Port Phillip Bay (including a ferry crossing). It is a mostly flat route so definitely Velomobile territory........

I need to start using the race hood to get happy with that........allegedly that will add another 10% to my speed :biggrin:

looks sooo fast, bet them lycra clad men are hiding from you lol ,have a fast ride around the bay .

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I don't think I took that many pics when we brought our first born home!

Have you done any vids yet? It's always nice to see an HPV going insanely quickly down a steep hill!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I reckon it's the Round the Bay 250k this weekend ?

How did it go ? (as you will have finished it before we would have started, were we starting at the same time ... or whatever ... :unsure:)

Love to see some vids too - please ! ^_^

OP
OP
riggsbie

riggsbie

Yes.....

I managed my first Around the Bay event, opted for 250km option....finished in 8hr 5 mins - average of just over 30 kph.....

I have some photos and took the GoPro but not had time to go through the video yet......here's a shot from the ferry.....

rtb 2012 - queenscliff ferry.jpg

Some of the looks and comments were interesting......

Riggsbie

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
30 kph !!!

That is very seriously quick :hyper: . Well Done ! :bravo:

Love to hear some of those 'interesting' comments ;) ... but they can't argue with the speed :laugh:

OP
OP
riggsbie

riggsbie

When I was all loaded on to the ferry with everyone else one chap (who had got off a Cervelo with DI electronic shifters) came over.....

"That's really cool ! Those Velomobiles are really expensive aren't they ?"

Me - "Not as bad as you would think, out of interest how much was your Cervelo ?"

"I got a real bargain, it was a 2011 model and so it was just under $16000...."

Me - "Wow, that sounds like a good deal.......my Mango was just about half that cost...."

"No way....?"

Me - "Well I guess you just pay for the labour and materials with a velomobile - there's no race team to run, no expensive marketing or branding is there..... Let's face it your bike is probably only worth $6000 but the brand name is probably worth another $10,000 ?"

At this point the DFer wandered off mumbling........

Another chap said I was cheating using a velomobile, so I asked how he would go if I added over 20kg to his bike on those 10% grades..........

Here you get Bogans (Chavs) in old cars and I got the usual anti-cyclist nonsense and also the "fully sick mate !" as well.......

And just the other day a tradie (Ute/Pickup driver) told me that I was dangerous, so I asked how so ? He replied that people slowed down to look at my Mango whilst they were driving and he almost ran into the back of the car in front of him........I said that when you drive a car/ute you are supposed to drive with due care and attention and how was I able to help him drive more carefully....? No response.......

Riggsbie.....

Started trawling through some video last night........

OP
OP
riggsbie

riggsbie

Right.....

Had a go at editing the first hour of video......it was hard work......hat's off to anyone who does this well !!

I found some music I liked and tried editing it down to that length......the music is quite hypnotic and the cadence of the cyclists seemed to fit the rhythm of the music......it's quite busy music too so it seemed to fit with the hectic/busy/congested start getting out of Melbourne.....

Hopefully ti's not too boring but any constructive criticism is appreciated !!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIsKz56v05E

Riggsbie

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Ooooh ! Watched the first couple of minutes and it's hypnotic indeed. :thumbsup: Looks great. :hyper:

Must to bed now :unsure: , though really looking forward to watching it tomorrow ... :wahhey:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Wow - oh WOW ! :heat:

That is excellent ! :bravo: Mesmerising music and it really kept pace with the pace of the ride - a good choice ! :thumbsup:

Certainly quick going down the bridge - not many DFs can live with that ! :sweat:

Thanks very much. It was well worth the wait .....

... and when is the next part coming ??? :hyper:

OMG loved the vidio music wasnt for me, but got to say :good on you mate ! showed them DF,S the way to go , shame there wasnt any recumbents as well. Looking forward to part 2 .

Top Bottom