My midlife crisis thread.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
barq said:
I would probably try and identify why you perform so differently at exams compared with coursework. Is there something about your technique? Or do they require different types of knowledge and understanding? You may already have tried this, but it might be worth speaking to your tutor, head of year, head of studies...

The answer to this is quite simple:

I'm motivated to do as well as I can on my course. Any assignments are done thoroughly. I'll spend as long as it takes to get the work done, drag whatever information is needed out of text books. Often I'll have to go to the begining of the relevant text and teach myself from there. This is done at the expense of everything else in my life. BUT, doing that for the three modules is pretty time consuming.

In an exam I've got two hours and no notes....

Anyway, I've failed the exams now and that's that.

yenrod said:
MichaelM - just do what you wanna do !!!!!!!!!!!

I want to get a decent grade in a Physics degree! I also want some time for myself.

So I've failed this semester. I'll either take the OU route or resit the year. It may take a little longer than normal, but I will put BSc (Physics) after my name one day!

MichaelM said:
So I've failed this semester. I'll either take the OU route or resit the year. It may take a little longer than normal, but I will put BSc (Physics) after my name one day!

I went back to education after another 'career' - took me ages to get through as I didn't take a single straight path. Started with arts A levels and teaching in mind, ended up on an engineering conversion course, did a year of electrical before chucking it and going to mechanical. Wasted a year, did an extra year with some extra modules to change my degree type, got my first post degree job, took an opportunity and left everything I'd done behind! The path of life is never straight, especially when you start again. In the end all that matters is you get the ticket that lets you through the gate, the rest is up to you and what comes your way.

Abitrary

craigwend said:
The problem with exams, is very rarely are people taught how to revise.

Er, that's what exams are supposed to do. Separate the wheat from the chaff?

MichaelM, do you think it might be your military discipline that causes this problem? You follow orders with the assignments, but the exams are a different thing because they give a big window of time and space and shove you into it and expect you to swim?

I reckon you might need study pals. Do you guys do seminars / tutorials whatever on the course?

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Crackle said:
I went back to education after another 'career' - took me ages to get through as I didn't take a single straight path. Started with arts A levels and teaching in mind, ended up on an engineering conversion course, did a year of electrical before chucking it and going to mechanical. Wasted a year, did an extra year with some extra modules to change my degree type, got my first post degree job, took an opportunity and left everything I'd done behind! The path of life is never straight, especially when you start again. In the end all that matters is you get the ticket that lets you through the gate, the rest is up to you and what comes your way.

And ended up living over Fort William way. I want to do that course;)

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Abitrary said:
Er, that's what exams are supposed to do. Separate the wheat from the chaff?

MichaelM, do you think it might be your military discipline that causes this problem? You follow orders with the assignments, but the exams are a different thing because they give a big window of time and space and shove you into it and expect you to swim?

I reckon you might need study pals. Do you guys do seminars / tutorials whatever on the course?

;)

Aye that could be it. Or maybe it's because the modules are Quantum Mechanics, E&M (Maxwell's equations) and Mathematics.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
For Mathematics I recommend the Schaum's outline series. Some of these would make outstanding texts for revision for any level anyway but they are also great for teaching yourself.

Crackle said:
The path of life is never straight, especially when you start again. In the end all that matters is you get the ticket that lets you through the gate, the rest is up to you and what comes your way.

That's a good way of looking at it, Crackle!

I've never known what I've wanted to do or be (career-wise) and have never really heard/understood my inner voice that shouts at me all the time.
I've gone round in circles and have been treading water for quite a number of years now, and I feel that the time is rapidly 'approaching' where I need to jump in a new direction to see where and how I land.
I know it's all about getting the 'ticket', and I'm sure I will; maybe I shouldn't focus on the fast-track route, although the path I've taken doesn't have any straight bits. ;)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
MichaelM said:
I want to get a decent grade in a Physics degree!
... but I will put BSc (Physics) after my name one day!
Lol - I have a degree in (Applied) Physics & Scientific Instrumentation (catchy title!).... I then proceeded to realise that I didn't want to do Research or further study at that point and went into a job in Marketing. ;)

After completing my Diploma in Marketing a few years later I then got bored with it and moved into IT.

I now have an MCSE but don't work in the area of my studies (i.e network infrastructure etc.) but am still in IT doing Web Development work... and getting a bit tired of this after 7+ years....

I hear what you're saying about wanting the degree, but it's not the ticket to your dreams (if it is though, then good luck to you!). If you wish to pursue a career using your Degree subject then obviously it's a make-or-break deal... if not then don't get too stressed about it.

BTW - the OU is highly respected in the workplace as it takes extra committment and graft to complete along with other things in your life (like a full-time job?) so don't think that taking that route is an easy option that won't get you what you want... can you tell I used to be the Marketing Co-ordinator for the OU in the North West? :ohmy:

JamesAC

Twenty Inch said:
OU is more accessible, but not taken very seriously unfortunately.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. It's an attitude that is fed and watered by comments such as those made by you.

Studying for a degree in Applied Maths with the OU opened doors for me, and changed my life considerably (for the better).

I enjoyed the OU experience so much that I haven't stopped: I've just got the results for the first year of a Diploma in Music I'm doing: a Grade 2 pass!

It's true to asy that not everyone is as thrilled with the FE experience. A fellow OU student of mine, who completed her B.A at the same time as me, rather expected employers to be queuing up at her door, offering well-paid and interesting jobs. They didn't, but it wasn't the OU's fault.

Do your thing, but do it for the right reasons - ie to broaden your conceptual horizons. If your object is to earn more money, then learn to speak like a Pole and train as a plumber!!

Cheers

JamesAC (B.A, in applied maths, B.Sc (Hons) in earth sciences and half a diploma in music)

NickM

Veteran
Joe24 said:
My motivation for my school work has gone...
Have you considered going to a Further Education college? You could do something more vocationally orientated, like plumbing or (Top Tip) Electrical Installation. You would probably earn more money with either of those skills than I do with a degree...

NickM

Veteran
marinyork said:
For Mathematics I recommend the Schaum's outline series. Some of these would make outstanding texts for revision for any level anyway but they are also great for teaching yourself.
Aha! Perhaps I can teach myself calculus, after all ;)

Kovu

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Put the bike on top of your daily to do list...even if only for 30 minutes a day it will make everything else easier

Trust BFTB it helps to go cycling, makes your mind calmer and your more likely to concentrate. I'm still at school doing exams at moment and it annoys me so much and stresses me out. But unlike you I cna perform better in exams than in coursework which I dont have motivation to do and then end up rushing it.

Whatever happens, just go and work in that bike shop! ;)

Tell you what, if your intersted in business read Duncan Bannatynes book, 'anyone can do it' it motivated me a bit more/.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
NickM said:
Aha! Perhaps I can teach myself calculus, after all ;)

Yes, absolutely. There's a beginners calculus one,a calculus one, advanced calculus, complex analysis, vector & tensor analysis, numerical analysis, even one for business and social sciences. They are cheap, cover theory concisely and clearly and usually have hundreds of worked examples.

Top Bottom