My Motability Triad / Theraplay Tracer Folding Trike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stearman65

As mentioned in other threads, I collected my trike yesterday, which I've bought from the proceeds of selling my motability scooter. Assembled it this afternoon & had a play around on the carpark & pavement outside. Persuaded the wife to have a go as well. Put some pictures & video into an AV show & posted it on YouTube, whether the link will work i don't know if I am approved yet
Stearman65.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1OuHN4gQhc

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Thanks User.
A few pictures here before I decided to buy.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eric_shepherd/albums/72157670716997870

Last edited:
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Thanks everyone. Hope to be able to convert it to 6 gears. Will post some queries in one of the other forums. The gearing at present is too low, looking at the present fixed gear set up, I think adding a rear cassette & derailleur. I have no workshop facilities, but an engineering knowledge & some tools. Can't really afford a professional to do the work, would like to try myself.

Stearman65.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Any help gratefully received.
The main problems as I see them are 1 attaching the cassette to the wheel. 2 attaching the derailleur to the frame. 3. Positioning the actuator / shift lever on the rear portion of the trike, so the trike can be dismantled without interfering with the gearing. 4. Finally working out the sizes of the gears. An alternative would be to just have 2 or 3 gears on the front chain wheel, but I think this would be more expensive & less efficient.
I've just uploaded the close ups from my video to my flickr account here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eric_shepherd/albums/72157671957784806
It's hard to convert those to multi-geared. I'll help with technical advice if you like.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I can't see if there is any way to mount a mid transmission gear block like mine has, it then has a 'dolly' chain to the axle though which is fixed as the freewheel is in the geared 'axle' assembly.

trike 004.JPG

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Looks pretty complicated compared to mine. Some close up pics of the back end would help if that's possible. Is KENTEX the make of the trike? I'll google it & see what comes up. Cheers.:notworthy:

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Looks pretty complicated compared to mine. Some close up pics of the back end would help if that's possible. Is KENTEX the make of the trike? I'll google it & see what comes up. Cheers.:notworthy:
I've just got a wealth of info from this post, including images from various Chinese manufacturers, will add them to my flickr account when I've edited them. Most are low res' so don't expect too much.:wahhey:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep it's a Kentex but I have done a fair few modifications to it myself. The handlebars have been changed from 'chopper' style ones to those 'North Road' ones and the seat changed from a big 'tractor' style one to the Brooks (and a 250w electric front drive motor kit fitted)
I'll try and get some pics of the 6 speed gearing system (standard on this) up tomorrow.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Yep it's a Kentex but I have done a fair few modifications to it myself. The handlebars have been changed from 'chopper' style ones to those 'North Road' ones and the seat changed from a big 'tractor' style one to the Brooks (and a 250w electric front drive motor kit fitted)
I'll try and get some pics of the 6 speed gearing system (standard on this) up tomorrow.
Thanks I'd appreciate that.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Mine is different in that the gearing is on a separate hub,
DSCN0047.JPG

which has a 6 speed freewheel controlled by a Shimano derailleur

DSCN0047.JPG DSCN0049.JPG

And a sprocket welded to the hub flange that transmits drive to the rear axle

Click on the photos to give full size images.

Top Bottom