My N + 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Collected my Nazca Fuego Top Sport 3x9 yesterday. Changed from this :

$(KGrHqF,!rEFBkdn7oHEBQZvjR)pmw~~60_12.JPG

to this:

DSCN2424.JPG :biggrin:

Had a practice today (on the grass). I learned ...
  • it's FUN ! :biggrin:
  • I can start off - sometimes even without falling :thumbsup:
  • I can easily forget about 'heel strike' :ohmy:
  • soft grass is harder to ride on than tarmac :training:
  • soft grass is softer to land on than tarmac :hugs:
  • it's FUN ! :wahhey:
Hope to get out again tomorrow - before the rain :rain: sets in all day Thursday. :sad:

D

Deleted member 20519

Lovely bike, Scoosh! I wish you many happy miles on it! :bicycle::wahhey:

Good choice! My first 'bent was a Fuego and I foolishly changed to a high racer. Three years later I borrowed Laidback's demo Fuego for a weekend and realised what a mistake I'd made. I bought another and I've never ridden anything else which comes close (for me) A great blend of qualities with such an involving ride. Hope you get as much pleasure from it as I have.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Early days and still trying to work out how to turn a tight-ish corner without heel strike and resultant fall ! :laugh:

Pushed the boom out quite a bit from previous owner's length but still experimenting. Any other tips for making the learning process quicker ?

byegad

Legendary Member
It's about relaxing your upper body and relying on light steering movements to keep the balance. It took me a month or more to be confident that I could set off and stop without toppling over, but I had an undiagnosed balance issue! The difference between a DF and 'bent is that you really can't affect the balance of a bent with body weaight, although moving your head does have some affect.

Use a lower gear for setting off and stopping than you would on a DF. rest your hands on the bars rather than grip and relax! Easier said than done but it does work.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
excellent stuff.
I really miss my bent..:sad:

As someone else has said, trick is to relax and don't use a death grip on the bars.
For very slow tight turns I found that unclipping the inside foot helped.

Oh yes, you may want to get rid of that silly flag might get caught in the gears :tongue:

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
excellent stuff.
I really miss my bent..:sad:

As someone else has said, trick is to relax and don't use a death grip on the bars.
For very slow tight turns I found that unclipping the inside foot helped.

Oh yes, you may want to get rid of that silly flag might get caught in the gears :tongue:
Didn't you have a Musashi ? Whatever happened ? Economics (or lack thereof ? :sad:) Wish I'd known when you were selling ... :whistle:

Anyway, thanks for those tips - and, yes, I know the flag is way too big (for safety) - it was a wee joke with the seller. ^_^

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yeah, was only joking about the flag too.

Yup I had to sell it.
I just couldn't get comfy on it for long rides, for which I bought it for.
Anything over 75 miles and my knee would seize up.
Reason I found was that when on the bent I was either over-extending or under-extending due to the seat position, unlike an upright where your saddle keeps you in one place.

ushills

Veteran
Very nice and the exact model I'm looking at.

What made you chose the top-sport?

Also, I've never even been on a recumbent, what are they like on steep hills that you normally have to get out of the saddle for on a DF. I know people say spin but at what speed does balance become an issue.

Recycle

Über Member
Looks great, similar profile to the HPV speedmachine.
I rented a HPV Spirit from London Recumbents for an hour at Dulwich park, which was the sum total of my 2 wheel recumbent experience before I picked up my speedmachine and cycled from BikeFix to London Bridge station :eek:. A few close calls with pedestrians (beware, they look right over you before stepping into the road) but no mishaps. I think at least one may be suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome.
Enjoy the bike. The fun increases the more you ride it.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Very nice and the exact model I'm looking at.

What made you chose the top-sport?

Also, I've never even been on a recumbent, what are they like on steep hills that you normally have to get out of the saddle for on a DF. I know people say spin but at what speed does balance become an issue.
It sort of chose me - it was for sale on the-bay :smile: ; I bid :ohmy: ; I won :wahhey:

I had had a couple of sessions with David Gardiner of Laid Back Bikes here in Edinburgh (top bloke, BTW :thumbsup:) and fond it to be almost like learning to ride a bike again - I found the balance very different but the grin factor is HUGE :biggrin: !

I can't tell you what it is like to go up hills, as I am still working out how to start, go round corners et al without mishap :blush:. One advantage is that, being much closer to the ground, it is not as far to fall :laugh: (which is part of the learning process - for me, at any rate :unsure:)

I suppose that, rather like an DF bike, the (low) speed at which you fall off is a function of your handling skills. I'm still at the 'lots of wobble' stage :giggle:

Recycle

Über Member
I got my speedmachine 3rd week July so I have only had it for a short while & I've managed a Ditchling beacon ascent with no stops (slow, but I got there). Balance isn't too much of an issue, its just practice. There were a few DF's just ahead of me on my ascent and my tracking was much the same as theirs. You use different muscles so it will take a few months before you develop the same leg strength you have on your DF.
When you cycle against DF's, I think they will always have the edge on steep hills but a bent like the Nasca fuego will come into its own when it gets windy. No headwind is good, not even on a bent, but you will run away from the DF's. It shouldn't take too long before you beat them on the level in neutral wind conditions. You should even be able to take on the carbon DF's.
And wait till you get confidence on the downhills, that's when the fun starts.

ushills

Veteran
Think I need a recumbent as the pain in my neck using a DF after an accident lasts for days.

Just need to convince the family that it's safe.

Top Bottom