My new 2012 Specialized Secteur Comp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alexvs

Well after posting up in the forums for some help about my new bike, I ordered the above bike and took it out for 2 test rides....the rest is history ^_^

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0134-1.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0127-1.jpg

I'm not the most imaginative with photography as you can tell :rolleyes: but I'm limited on space in my house where I can take clear photo's so squeezed it in. My kitchen is now home to both my bikes, good thing I live alone lol

I'm now off to fit some Crud Roadracer mudguards and will add an after pic up later.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
What a beauty!!!

Heres hoping for some good weather.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Thanks mate, very much like your Roubaix :thumbsup:

Unfortunately the fitting of the Crud's is not going well. They are not liking the Specialized tyres and think I may have to admit defeat as the rear tyre is rubbing. I'm trying to work out if it's the width or the clearance under the brake area. They suggested getting the clip on ones that only take care of protecting back spray but I think I'd rather ride without then with those as really don't like the look of them. I'm going to keep tinkering for a bit and see what I can do as I'm sure I got it spinning before I added the end bit. Thankfully I have spare parts that I can replace in the box if I need to take them back.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Specialized tyres are usually a bit bigger than most makes. Good for comfort, not so good for crusds.

Your only option is to ride the tyres off it and get some 23 or 25 from another brand.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

That was my experience too Alex, maybe I've just not got the patience as others seem to have managed it.
Nice bike btw :thumbsup:
Think I've managed it! Seems the positioning of the cable tie has every bit of importance on the final position of the guard. By turning the tie the guard moved just enough over so it's now as central as I'll get it. It's now in a position where I'm happy to ride it knowing there'll only be the slightest bit of rub when the guard bumps about.

Thanks ^_^

Specialized tyres are usually a bit bigger than most makes. Good for comfort, not so good for crusds.

Your only option is to ride the tyres off it and get some 23 or 25 from another brand.
They seem comparable to the size of my Vittoria's on the Giant but think it's the tiniest bit wider, coupled with the tighter space round the brakes etc just makes it difficult. Next on the list are some 23's in time for Spring.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

nice bike :bicycle: skirting board could do with a paint :whistle: lol
Thanks, I know I got bored decorating and forgot to back, now its 5 years after I moved in lol

Very nice, though I'm a little disappointed you didn't go for the Felt! Did it come with DT Swiss rims?
The Secteur kept pulling me back when I saw and rode it. I was nearly swayed by a Focus after finding an LBS I never knew existed stocked them and Orbea's but the Secteur had me. Yeah they're standard rims.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Finally got to go out yesterday for my first (short) proper ride. I did 15 miles in 1 hour 3 mins so not particularly quick but think it's going to take me a little while to build back up to the 40 miles I managed on my flat bar. This is also the first ride I've done in a month outside of my 5 mile each way commute which I also didn't manage many of last month due to the weather. The bike overall feels great on the roads, it really surprised me how fluid it felt over the surface and soaked up the majority of vibrations. Even though it wasn't, it actually felt quicker on flats and downhill and felt more effortless. Unfortunately the Crud's were squeaking constantly on the redway section of my route as there was some rubbing on the tyres when they picked up any little grit etc but as soon as I hit the road it became less frequent. Thankfully it's getting drier so hopefully will be able get the Crud's off soon and just enjoy the ride without that annoyance.

While out, I was trying out different hand positions and managed to get into the drops a few times for the downhill sections which felt good. Most of the time was spent on or round the hoods and I'm not sure but felt a little stretched out so think I need to play a little with seat level and possibly even a slightly shorter stem as that changed my ride on the Giant Defy I test rode. I initially set off to complete at least the 30 mile section of my set route I've been doing but started feeling a bit of pain in my lower back so thought it best to do the short circuit and just test it all out for the first ride. Last night I really felt my body starting to complain with my shoulders and upper back feeling the pain but not excessive just the annoying type lol. This morning it's not as bad with just my shoulders feeling a little sore and between the shoulder blades feeling stretched out. Think I'm going to add in some extra back exercises into my week's gym sessions to try stretch it out and hopefully help get used to the position.

I also realised changing to a compact after using a triple may take a little trial and error to get used to as felt drained after the first proper hill I tackled but was mainly due to being in too high a gear going into it so by half way was out of the seat and on a low gear. Anyway after all of that, here's to the next ride ^_^ I was never expecting it to be a smooth transition so am happy to go through the little pain at the start to make my riding even more enjoyable.

Norm

I let out a little squeak looking at those pix. Lovely bike there, and a huge contrast to the 2010 model which comes in shades of grey. :laugh:

That was my experience too Alex, maybe I've just not got the patience as others seem to have managed it.
I never did manage it, my LBS tried and didn't either so gave my the money back.

Yes to this too. I'll be going to 23s when I get shot of the standard tyres, and will give the Cruds another try then as I love the design and the execution, they are just 2mm too tight.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

:laugh: Haha thanks Norm ^_^

They fit but are just very tight so when debris is picked up by the tyres you can hear them squeaking through. I intend to change the tyres come spring/summer to 23's too and will just keep the standards as backups. I was tempted to swap over the standard's with the Vittoria Zaffiro 25's off my other bike just out of curiosity but haven't got round to trying yet. I think with the clearance on my other bike the Spec tyres would be fine with the Crud's as can lift them further away. Might give it a go on my week off at the end of the month.

Top Bottom