My new beater

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hedder2212

As some may know some thieving scum stole my old Raleigh from outside asda. Wasn't that good of a bike, I was given it and I put my own touch on it by adding bright pink cable outers and clipping dan the dino teddy to the back. But it was my bike and I loved it.
Well ive now replaced that beater with this one which was purchased from a facebook group for a huge £25.. Perfect size for me, saddle is strangely comfortable and its shinnnnyyyyy :biggrin: (not for long)
11078219_1428177377497423_1587395445186657118_n.jpg

Ill start with my beaterification "mods" to it soon.

ClassicLime

Looks like it's in great condition for the price! V nice.

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

Looks like it's in great condition for the price! V nice.
Its in very good condition, the guy bought it, rode it once, put it away in the shed and dragged it out yesterday posted a pic saying £25 first come first serve. Never before have I shot out the door so quick :laugh:
Rides lovely for what it is. Perfect for getting to work on, doing the shopping on and going for gentle bike rides in the park with GF. :bicycle:

Hi h. Way back in the very early 80's I bought a Hawk Aspen in a fabulous Dark Metallic Green,it was what we now refer to as a Flat-bar Hybrid - direct from the factory/showroom (as was then),they were in Cradley Heath,West Midlands.
The bike albeit a little on the heavy side by modern standards,but it was a steel frame - it served me well for 2+yrs and when sold 2006 the guy that bought it could not believe the age of it.
They only things that were ever changed on it were the tyres,they were changed to a smoother street tread-pattern,I believe that they were branded as Nokia.

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

This is my second Hawk.
My first one was a Hawk Trakatak.
123454.png

Absolutely love Hawk bikes, always keep a eye on the free ads sites + ebay for them, usually cheap and need very little work to get them spot on. I outgrew the last one but it survived everything I put it through, commutes through sun/rain/snow, the odd longer trip just for pleasure and even a few laps around Cannock chase.
and yes. yes that is a Toyota badge on the front of the Trakatak.... Just as a joke because the thing was unkillable.

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

Today saw a 50 mile round commute. It also saw three punctures. Rear tyre was bald but just found the little piece of metal that was puncturing my tubes. good job wilko does the cheap tubes at £3.50 each. Tyres now swapped round to try get a few extra miles + ive cut up a old innertube and put that in before the new innertube. Hopefully that will do the job until payday.
Some pictures of the little piece of metal that I got out of the tyre.
1508537_1430204180628076_5685850486915676834_n.jpg

11149381_1430204410628053_5890450847093259413_n.jpg

11150145_1430204707294690_7439403811536589863_n.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry to post it now but I've been told Wilko tubes aren't the best. The small motor spares chains here seem to sell the cheapest half-decent ones (WildTrax, WeldTite or Kenda... and I'm not sure about the valves on Kenda).

If you can get them before they're gone, Spa Cycles still have some of their "last season" Marathon HS368s in their sale category, or the slightly-less-protected Delta Cruisers in the general tyres are even cheaper if they come in a size you can use.

Good luck and keep rolling!

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

I only use the wilko tubes to get me out of a sticky situation. Theyre just a get me home thing. Cheap and do the job for a few miles. I usually use the schwalbe ones halfrauds sell. Going to go to the LBS and see what they have tyre wise when I get paid. Just hope the tyres will hold up until then :laugh:

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Never used their own brand tubes but I did notice that my local Wilko's had Schwalbe tubes in addition to their own brand. £4.99 I think - don't know how this compares to Halfords.

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

One thing that's really annoying me - WONKY BLOODY MUDGUARD!
WP_20150427_008.jpg

Attempting to get "betty" absolutely filthy by riding through as much mud as I can and taking her down the dirt paths etc
WP_20150427_005.jpg

and just another just because.
WP_20150427_004.jpg

Top Bottom