My new build, finally finished

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
02GF74 said:
the seat tube welded on to one side is always going to be vulnerable to snapping.

I've had 2 posts snap on me - the last time I was climbing up a hill, then next thing I am on the ground behind the bike. the jagged end of post scraped my inner thigh but it could have been a lost worse - there is a big artery somewhere round there.

incidentally, that is same post design as on proflex - they have a little bump inside the seat tube to prevent andy chance of the post slipping down and into the shock.

I guess drilling a small hoke and fitting a bolt would serve the same purpose.

The trouble is that I want to be able to lower my seat for descents.
It's all fine at the moment but if the seat does slip it will destroy the shock.

So far the only thing I've thought of is fitting a clamp to the seatpost itself to stop it slipping past a setpoint and hitting the shock, until I can scrape the pennies together for a gravity dropper anyway.

spence

Über Member
Don't worry too much, mostly post slip a little at a time not drop completely so it should be noticeable. If by chance the base of the post dose hit the shock it will be on the body and not the piston so shouldn't do any damage. I have seen a rubber bump stop fitted to some shocks in this sort of design, may be worth looking out for one.

02GF74

Über Member
spence said:
Don't worry too much, mostly post slip a little at a time not drop completely so it should be noticeable.

I've had problems with posts slipping - one was due to grease and other was trying to use thin lightweight clamp.

what I do it paint a small red dot and then every once in a while take a peak to see if it has dropped.

ofcourse you can use other colours.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks guys,

I believe the original brain would've come with a rubber stopper to fix to the shock, I may stick a blob of silicone on or similar.

My main worry is that I'll bottom out really hard and drive the seatpost straight through the shock but I'm probably worrying about nothing.

spence

Über Member
Due to the FSR design there is very little vertical movement of the shock body, the travel is taken up along the length of the compression with only minimal swing movement in the link - which by the way if it’s the original sworks can be flipped to give more/less travel - so as the frame does not compress contact would be unlucky. But don’t worry the bike was very well designed and can handle any stuff in this country and most beyond, in my case the bike was far better than I was/am so was always well within its limits even when I thought I was pushing it.

There used to be an animation on the speech site showing the movement but can’t find it now. The Enduro manual http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf/manuals/04_Enduro_Tech_Manual.pdf shows the seat tube and bump stop.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Cool, thanks for that.
There does seem to be very minimal movement from the shock to the post, I did let all the air out of it and gave a few pushdowns on the seat and even with the post just a few mm's away it seemed Ok.

Just need the snow and ice to clear so I can give it a proper test run in Wales :tongue:

Top Bottom